Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It was a beautiful day...

As I watched the multi-ethnic, multi-racial and multi-class celebration in Grant Park tonight I had two thoughts: One, every now and again, we step up to the challenge and embrace God's vision for us that overcomes division and fear and hatred as the Apocalypse of John reminds us.

And two, it is time to say good-bye to the old America and embrace the new - it will be more challenging and even more work - but it will also be blessed. It was a beautiful day.. hard and not without its confusion... but still beautiful.

3 comments:

RJ said...

so anonymous has to hide... so sad but not surprising, yes? when I saw Jesse Jackson weep - and please understand that I don't often agree with Jesse - I knew that we had moved into a new time. I know that not everyone will agree, but after being a part of various aspects of the struggle for civil and human rights throughout the 60s, 70s, 80s and
90s... crudities from cowards do not matter. As Dr. King once said, "I have seen the mountain top..."

Anonymous said...

In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.
-Eric Hoffer

I have never been more proud to be an American than on this day...I also don't always agree with Jesse Jackson but the emotion on his face mirrored my own last night. I am very moved.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about your nasty commenter - the moderator of our National Presbyterian Church this year (and a personal friend), Bruce Reyes-Chow has also received some incredibly nasty comments on his blog that include very racist comments (he is a Filipino-Chinese-American man). What really amazes me is that people who claim to honor the God of love express such hatred. Have they read the same Bible? Anyway, you should check out Bruce's response - it is very well done: http://www.reyes-chow.com/2008/11/if-you-plan-on.html
peace,
B.

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...