Saturday, January 10, 2009

Taking down the decorations...

This year it took us a while to put up our Advent/Christmas decorations given the death of a dear woman colleague and friend. It just didn't feel right - and besides we just didn't have the energy. About the middle of December I finally found a tree and put up the outdoor lights late one evening - they were beautiful - and we kept them bright until Epiphany.

And now the tree is down (and in the back yard), the garlands and decorations boxed and in the basement and the ornaments wrapped and stored away for another year. Looking at the ornaments as I took them off the tree reminded me of my story and so many parts of it:

+ there were ornaments from Los Angeles and San Francisco where the girls were born...
+ there was one remnant from the Farm Worker days...
+ there were a few home-made treats from NYC and Saginaw when the girls were small...
+ a few from trips to West Virginia...
+ a collection from my first trip to the former Soviet Union plus one from Sweeden, too...
+ a variety from the Southwest...
+ a great collection from London, Scotland and Montreal...
+ a small Christmas tree from El Salvador
+ some from Dianne's childhood...
+ and a new New England country doll ornament that evokes Appalachia

Taking these sweet images down was prayerful for me - time to reflect and remember - as well as say a blessing for those who have touched my life. I am grateful for this time today. Here is how Sara prays it...

3 comments:

ChathamKat said...

Thank you for this evocative post! Just did my tree yesterday - now I'm harvesting the balsam needles to create pillows.
Sounds like you're a well-traveled pilgrim.

RJ said...

Thanks, Kat... what a great idea re: the neeedles. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Christmas Trees seem to be a scrapbook of our lives. I share your feelings evoked by the ornaments and decorating of the tree. A Christmas tree brings a different feel to to a home.

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your beauty green will teach me
That hope and love will ever be
The way to joy and peace for me.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your beauty green will teach me.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...