Friday, January 9, 2009

What's so funny...

Ever since I heard Elvis Costello beat the crap out of the song,"What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding," I have LOVED it! It is primal. It is anguished. And it says in under 3+ minutes what I preach about for more than 20 - the call to a gentle life of justice and grace. This version - the first - is a heart-sick lament to all that is sacred...

But there are two other versions that continue to grab my attention. I really appreciate what Springsteen, Michael Stripe, Eddie Vedder and others did with it in their challenge to W in 2004. They made it the closing of their "Vote for Change" tour - a call to action, if you will - that brought the 80s punk energy to a 21st century challenge. And this totally modern groove gets the heart of the song right, too.

My current favorite version, however, is the way the composer, Nick Lowe, is doing it now in a much more mellow and haunting style. It has that Cowboy Junkie thing that I adore...

I guess you can say this is my prayer mantra these days... Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...