Friday, October 30, 2009

If not now, tell me when...

It will soon be Halloween - and then All Saints Day - and this old year is rapidly coming to a close. The ancient Celts and Gaels sensed that this time of year was one where the veil between this world and the next was very thin. Bonfires were lit, the time of light came to a close and the dark half of the year began. My old friends in Tucson celebrated Dia de los Muertos at this time of year - and I have always honored All Saints Day as a time of taking stock of those who have passed.

Mostly, you see, because I believe the dead share gifts with those who remain alive in this realm. It often takes time to discern these gifts, but they are real. My sister, Linda, when she died almost 17 years ago gave me the gift of new life by forcing me to take stock of what my life had become before it was too late. My old mentor, Dolores Brown, pushed me out of a rut, too, and that led us to Pittsfield.

This year, as All Saints Day grows within me, I am aware that the cries of the dead are speaking to me in a unique way. The scriptures for All Saints Day speak of Jesus weeping for his dear friend Lazarus. The prophet Isaiah also promises a time when God's love will be so real that all the tears will be wiped away from the eyes of the fearful and confused. For some reason, I am aware of Christ's tears in a new and profound way as I listen to the weeping of those who grieve so many dead in Afghanistan - and Iran - and Iraq. There is so much fear and confusion and hatred - so much blood - so much darkness.

So, just as my youngest daughter (who is traveling tonight to Mexico to celebrate the wedding of a childhood friend) once inspired me into proactive work on behalf of making peace with my Russian sisters and brothers in the midst of the Cold War - and travelling to Soviet Russia four different times on behalf of people-to-people trust - something is percolating now that has to do with Afghanistan.

+ What would a commitment to reconciliation and reparation - atonement - with the Afghan people look like at this moment in time when the President is prayerfully and strategically considering a new direction?

+ As I wrote earlier, I think Jim Wallis and Sojourners folk are on to something in suggesting that the time has truly come for a war of development and reparation.

Call it serendipity - or the Holy Spirit - but as we visited Northampton today, I saw that just last week there was a gathering of Christians, Jews and Muslims studying the book, Three Cups of Tea, and planning to raise funds to support the work of building schools with Mortenson's organization. I am sensing that I am going to throw away my sermon notes for this Sunday and suggest that we cast our fate with such a movement: we could use our money, time and energy to push for real healing in Afghanistan. We could work with Three Cups - or Church World Service - to build up rather than tear down. After all, we are dedicating a Peace Pole on Sunday for God's sake...

Nearly 25 years ago, when a flock of Canada geese confused our air defense forces who were ready to launch a nuclear attack on Russia only to discover it was geese flying over the USA instead of bombs, I was so "awakened" that I challenged my Michigan congregation to join me in a people-to-people mission of discovery, trust and faith. Eventually we brought 50 teens and their parents to Russia and did our part in changing the fear and hatred of the age into a little more love. Rather like St. Francis going into the Middle East in the midst of the hatred of the Crusades... and after September 11th and the ugly, senseless war in Iraq... a new wind needs to be blowing.

Singer Carrie Newcomer puts it like this:

Let's be prayerful - and active - together.

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...