Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter...

Yesterday my brother, Philip, started treatment for prostate cancer. That is sobering news. He had a rough go with the anesthesia - and the whole process of adding a radioactive "seed" inside his body was tough, too. He is recovering at home and will be away from work until after the New Year. I once called him my "little brother" - he is three years younger - until at 15 he said, "knock that shit off, man, I am your younger brother - ain't nothing little 'bout me!" And he was right.

+ It made me think of all the loss in the family over just this past year: Dianne's mother, my colleague and friend at church, Vicki, other church members. Now we hear that my daughter's husband's grandma, sweet Loretta, is wrestling with a tough form of cancer, too. And let's not forget my dad's declining health.

+ As Scott Cairns has noted, when these kinds of truths reach up and grab you they can either be a healthy wake up call or an invitation to depression. Most of the time, after a good cry, they wake me up to the blessings all around me in addition to the pain and loss.

Today it snowed - and rained - and was totally nasty outside. At the same time, it was lovely and quiet, too. That both/and thing happening all over the place, yes? So, after snow blowing and shoveling (twice) I have a great driveway that is safe and my shoulder aches... hmmmm. It is winter - outside and in my soul - and now I have to go pick up Dianne who had to walk to work this morning in the snow because we couldn't get out of the driveway.

Life is funny - and good - and often hard all at the same time. I have always loved this song by Lou Reed - What's Good from Magic and Loss - an album I fell in love with at the same time my sister, Linda, was dying of cancer. Thank God for St. Lou... (this skips a little but is still worth it to me.)

3 comments:

SGF said...

I am sorry to read that tough news. I hear you! I can only hold you and those you have concern for up to light! It seems that after the last two years that is the form my prayer takes!

Anonymous said...

exactly...

Peter said...

{0}

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...