Monday, January 11, 2010

How sweet it is...

Days like this one don't often happen in ministry: a day when EVERYTHING is sweet. So I have learned to claim them with gusto - give thanks to God - and keep moving because nothing remains the same as someone once said. What's more, these days are days of consolation for the dry and often hard times, yes?

But how sweet it is!??! The day began with sunshine and almost freezing temperatures - so it felt like a heat wave! Then after a staff meeting - and I have the GREATEST staff - I met with some of the lay leadership of the church to explore new ways to generate resources and THESE GUYS WERE SMOKIN'!!! Creative, faithful, fun and practical all in one meeting - totally blew my mind - and blessed me in spades. And it kept getting better: two church friends have been concerned that I learn to love winter in the Berkshires so that I don't lose my mind - so they took me out cross country skiing this afternoon.

Now, I have NEVER been on skis before - and I was really terrified - but they were so kind and encouraging that before long I was having fun. (I was waaay too hot because I hate the cold and worked up an enormous sweat but... that was ok, too.) We were out for about an hour and it was a total gas: I fell a few times - humility is good for the body and soul - had a few really fun slides and got a feeling for how winter might not only be tolerable but really fun. Then we hung out afterwards and shared stories and tea.

But that is not all: after a LONG hot shower I headed back to lead our first discussion on the book Three Cups of Tea - and 20 people showed up! I couldn't believe it - and when we talked about why we were there the overwhelming consensus is because we want to put forth a way of peace in Afghanistan as an antidote to war. We wept, laughed and began to be a part of the hope we know will bring a measure of healing.

And then on the way home I returned a call to a young woman exploring ministry - she is in her first year at Yale Divinity School - and she had decided that she would like to do her "discernment process" with us. She was baptized and confirmed her and been away for a while but would now like to work with us as she moves into ordained ministry.

I was so happy for her - and for our little church, too - because we will all learn and grow so much during the next three years. So let me just say that I return thanks to God today for a time of total grace and joy. Not only does it strengthen and heal my soul, but is nourishes my spirit, too. I know Mother Theresa spent most of her adult ministry without signs of consolation, but I am damn glad when they come my way. Made me think of my man Brad Paisely's GREAT song... dig it. (This guys is a genius and I love him!)

1 comment:

Peter said...

This sounds like hitting the ground running, RJ! :)

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...