Sunday, February 21, 2010

Feast or fast...

My honey is out cross country skiing while I am inside shaking with a fever and nasty stomach flu. I made it through worship - thank God for a printed manuscript when I feel unable to complete a sentence - and then rushed back home for bed. A lot of Lenten thoughts running through my head today - from a guest in church commending the film "Precious" to the start of a new children's choir preparing a punked-up tune called "Undignified" for Palm Sunday - but all of that will have to wait until this bug passes. Until then, here's a little reflection on fasting and feasting that I found touched me...

Fast from worry; feast on trusting God.
Fast from complaining; feast on appreciation.
Fast from negatives; feast on affirmatives.
Fast from hostility; feast on tenderness.


Fast from judging others; feast on Christ dwelling in them.

Fast from fear of illness; feast on the healing power of God.
Fast from words that pollute; feast on speech that purifies.
Fast from discontent; feast on gratitude.

Fast from anger; feast on patience.
Fast from bitterness; feast on forgiveness.
Fast from self-concern; feast on compassion for others.
Fast from discouragement; feast on hope.


Fast from suspicion; feast on truth.
Fast from lethargy and apathy; feast on enthusiasm.
Fast from gossip; feast on purposeful silence.
Fast from problems that overwhelm; feast on prayer that sustains.

Fast from thoughts that weaken; feast on promises that inspire.
Fast from apparent darkness; feast on the reality of light.

Tonight I have friends and loved ones in Nicaragua, Israel, and Afghanistan that I want to hold dear in prayer and God's love. I have "blogging buddies" from Canada, the UK and Australia that I also hold in prayer. My sisters caring for my wildass father, my daughters travelling home after time away and my dear wife.

Today's prayer feels like this sweet tune from Altan...


3 comments:

SGF said...

Thinking of you and wishing you well my friend!

Peter said...

As you are upheld in ours, RJ. Here's a song with a title of the earth, but music as a prayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8p5AxJn18&feature=related

RJ said...

Thank you my friends: and what a totally great song, my man. Thanks.

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...