Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tourist at a miracle...

Another day of snow, taking care of busynesss and maybe some bread baking soon. I filmed a TV show early this afternoon for when we are away in Tucson in a few weeks (we do a weekly 30 minute show focus on my weekly spiritual message.) Today was a combo of reflection on one of my favorite passages of scripture - Matthew 11: 28-30 - some thoughts about how music has become a way of prayer for me and ways God might be bringing solace to those of us who have experienced religious burn-out.

At the end, my camera-man friend and parishioner wiped away some tears and simply said... "wow... that really connects." I am always surprised - and grateful - when I can both get out of my way enough to be real in these experiences and vulnerable, too. (Music friends: this was rather like taking Bob Franke's "Thanksgiving Eve," the Stones' "I Know Its Only Rock and Roll," George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord," Dylan's "Just Like a Rolling Stone" and Joni Mitchell's "Marcie" - all of which I used - and putting it into a video blender with a little bit of Peterson's reworking of scripture. A lot of fun but I can't wait to see how it hangs together.)


When I got home, I came across this sweet little poem by Mark Statman that also seemed to be a part of the day:

hubo un milagro, she said,
a miracle
but in such a quiet voice
I had to ask her
to say it again
which she did
she didn't like it like that
a voces (loud)
it didn't seem as true anymore
she looked at me
it seemed just then
she must hate me
must hate anyone like me
she pointed down the road
curving, dusty
she said it was the way to the ruins
I didn't know
if I wanted to go
I already knew
I wouldn't see what she had seen

Off to make bread now... many blessings.

2 comments:

Mark Statman said...

Many thanks for your kind words on my poem. If folks want to know more, they can look at poetry daily (poems.com) or go to my website markstatman.com

Peace to all.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark.. it really touched me.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...