Sunday, March 7, 2010

Back in the Berkshires...

Well, I am back home in the Berkshires after a full three days in NYC. The second day of the IAM Encounter 10 was just as stimulating as the first: excellent musicians, creative and thoughtful presenters and pastors/artists and others carefully engaged in considering how to reclaim God's shalom in the work of culture building. And, just to make the whole thing sweeter, I got a chance to share dinner with my Brooklyn family after the even was over.

Two ideas are swimming around in my head as the result of this "encounter" with God's spirit in the presence of a variety of creative and faith-filled people:

+ First, it may be time to hold what I might call a "Sounds of Solace" symposium. I would want to gather together an inter-faith group of musicians along with key secular players, too, and share a day of songs that bring us comfort and hope even within the suffering of life. I know that is part of what we're exploring on Good Friday (more on that later) but it seems like a way to bring people together in a new way. I am also thinking that there should be a panel presentation in the middle of the day focusing upon a "theology of culture" with a closing concert/songfest of evening prayer.

Maybe there is even a way to work with the city's Arts Council to advance the cause? I hear jazz and gospel, rock and chamber music mixed with Sacred Harp, pipe organ and all types of sacred chanting. (Already an old Tucson friend now in Oklahoma has sent me this suggestion that really nails it...)

+ The second idea has to do with encouraging creativity in our Sunday School. Today, after worship, I spent about 30 minutes with our small emerging children's choir - about 8 little ones all under 3rd grade - and two little dudes brought in their guitars. Now they are very young players, but they really have some soul and already some licks! My buddy, Ethan is playing a GREAT rock and roll boogie! And my other partner, Zack, is playing a kick ass blues turn around that his dad taught him. So we're going to get another little guy on bongos and then kick out the jams on Palm Sunday with this will tune.

Well, much more thought, prayer and conversation is needed - and I'm off to lead Taize worship now - but it was all blessing.

2 comments:

Peter said...

I like the way that a bunch of young children on guitars somehow spells the word "hope"--at it does for me.

RJ said...

well these little dudes are totally signs of hope, my man... totally!

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...