Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Getting into town...

I have noted before that at least once a year - and often at this time of year - I make an annual arts and spirituality pilgrimage that brings me to New York City. Today, after a noonday Lenten class, "Faithfully Facing Death," I headed out for the train into the city. It is always hard to leave Dianne behind, but she has work and we are going to Tucson next week. So, she bid me farewell and I headed out for this adventure flying solo.

I got lost - one of the things I almost always forget to do is double-check my directions - and while this is often fascinating, it is also annoying. Fortunately I had only gone about 5 miles too far to the West and was able to head south through new territory. Like many misturns on pilgrimage, this was humbling - all to frustrating - and a good reminder to take the time to prepare, yes? When m daughter later picked me up in Brooklyn, and I told her of my mishap, she just laughed out loud noting, "Hmmmm... I think I detect a pattern?"

That said, the train journey into the city was smooth - and my subway ride was easy, too - so I arrived at the Court Street Starbucks in Brooklyn refreshed and ready to roll. So, daughter number one was there to schlep me to their new condo - WHICH LOOKS INCREDIBLE! I saw it just after they bought in last fall and a fresh coat of paint can work wonders. So, this will be home base for three days.

She and her lovely husband cooked a sweet dinner of greens, lentils, fresh bread and salmon - it was perfection - and we sat listening to Coltrane and Monk. A little bit of heaven. Then we discussed literature and the conference I will attend tomorrow and their post-post-modern critique that reclaims the importance of an objective understand of truth, goodness and beauty. I am blessed to be here and I know it.

Tomorrow, before the conference starts, I will wander through parts of the city I don't yet know and find new eateries to explore - new book stores, too. It will be mostly a time for more exploration before the study and conversation begins in earnest and I am grateful for this time of pilgrimage and prayer.

(images from the new conference center at coopre union in nyc - host of this year's IAM conference.)

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...