Monday, May 24, 2010

Going underground...

For the next full week, I will be away from my computer. It seems kind of funny that in the heart of what was one of the birthplaces of contemporary technology - the Bay Area - I won't have real access to the Internet. But as my lover says: "It will be good for you! Go and just be present with your brother." So, I am off to be with Phil and Julie in their sweet condo in the Mission...

Di has lent me her camera so that I can take some pictures of this pilgrimage. I imagine that there are a host of street scenes that will find their way to this blog when I get back: the Haight, jazz clubs, the Castro, lots and lots of North Beach, Golden Gate Park and the beautiful San Francisco Bay. I also need to take pictures of Phil and Julie. I realized that when my sister, Linda, died nearly 18 years ago, I didn't have any pictures of her. Same when my mom died four years ago. And while I expect Phil to be around for a long, long time, I am very aware that there are no guarantees... and I need to update my photos. (This one is Phil from a much different era; and while his hair and beard are still the same length, he now looks more like Jerry Garcia than Grizzly Adams.)

So while I will miss Dianne fiercely - she can't join me because of her work schedule - at the same time, I know that now is the right time for this trip. It has been too long...

1 comment:

Peter said...

Travelling mercies, RJ.

lent four: god so loved the kosmos...

Text: John 3: 14-21: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes i...