Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Old friends and new responsibilities...

Earlier today I had the chance to reconnect with a colleague I used to know 30 years ago while in seminary: she is now a successful pastor, mother and mentor in New Haven, CT. What a trip to find that our young seminarian at Yale is doing and internship with my old friend. It is a blessing. What's more, the young person at seminary is SOOOO grounded and wise! It was a treat to visit and get caught up today as we prepare for the next steps in the United Church of Christ "discernment for ministry" process. What a privilege to be with a young person exploring the next steps of ministry.

It was a stunning autumn day in New England: full sun, clear skies with just a hint of fall color in the trees and the promise of winter just around the corner. Driving two hours to New Haven each way gave me a lot of quiet time to reflect on ministry - my own, the ministries of old friends and the new ministries that are still being discerned - and I was grateful for the solitude.

Tomorrow will be a full day of sorting out funding and programming possibilities and problems at church, preparing for a Saturday wedding and taking time to soak in the beauty of the day. We may even have to host the community "street art" program if it rains - which looks likely.

But that is for tomorrow. Today I am simply grateful for old friends, new responsibilities, the privilege of ministry and an awareness that God is in charge, so I don't have to try to be!

photo credit: www.commonweeder.com/tag/carol-purington/

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...