Sunday, November 21, 2010

Are you saved...?

I found this spiritual reflection by Bill Green of the United Church of Christ (USA) particularly wise. It is grounded in this passage: “God rescued us from dead-end alleys.” (The Message)

Am I saved? These days the question may be put more smoothly. In whatever guise, it lingers. And it does get to the heart of faith.

“Salvation” comes from a Hebrew root meaning “removal of constriction” and “breathing space.” For Christians, we grow into this under the influence of Jesus. The new life he inspires gradually frees us from what has gotten in our way—doubt, arrogance, excessive modesty, guilt or shame, anger including what the church itself can stir up. “Frees us” is not the same as “makes go away.” It means that trouble no longer locks us in. We’re no longer facing dead ends. The problems that remain, however serious, are no longer shackles.

Jesus did not constrain people all over again, this time in the name of God. He did not insist that people see things his way. Many didn’t. He didn’t argue. He simply states what he knows to be true and embodies it in his way of living. He shows that God’s love runs deeper than anything that gets in the way.

For us this may mean listening as closely to others as we wish we could be listened to ourselves. Amid all we think it’s important to say and do, we can remember that we’re in God’s business, just like Jesus, not our own. It doesn’t all depend on us.

Prayer: Gracious God, rescue me from doubt and hard feeling that become dead ends. In your spirit may I breathe more freely, and help others do the same. Amen.

I know one reason I was moved by Bill's words has to do with two articles I read today in the Sunday NY Times about young Jews conducting their bar/bat mitzvah preparations on-line. Don't get me wrong, I am all for using technology to advance compassion and integrity, but where is God's name is the community aspect of such an endeavor? Seems to me this simply encourages MORE privitized religion and spirituality and that is a dead-end, yes? Another high tech religious hoop to jump through that doesn't build up the common good.

Oh well, I also know I was responding to decorating the Sanctuary today after worship for Advent - another thing you can't do all by yourself with any integrity - and how joyful it was for a bunch of folks to just get together to help one another. As one little girl said afterwards, "Pastor James, I like this church. (It was her first visit.) I feel like I'm needed." Amen little chica, amen. (Thanks to Ben for the pix.)
Seems like old Sarah gets it in her foundation work and this John Lennon song made new...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT YOU MUST DO TO BE SAVED

To be saved, you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31).

However, that's not all. Sacred Scripture clearly shows other things you must also do to be saved:

You must endure to the end. Matthew 10:22, Matthew 24:13, Mark 13:13.

You must accept the Cross (suffering). Matthew 10:38, Matthew 16:24-25, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23, Luke 14:27.

You must be baptized with water. Mark 16:16, Titus 3:5, I Peter 3:20-21.

You must be a member in God's true church. Acts 2:47.

You must confess your sins. James 5:16, I John 1:9.

You must keep the Commandments of God. Matthew 5:19-20, Matthew 7:21.

You must heed the words of St. Peter, the first Pope. Acts 11:13-14, Acts 15:7.

You must eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ. John 6:51-58, I Corinthians 10:16, I Corinthians 11:23-29.

Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to His call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life. CCC 1996, John 1:12-18, John 17:3, Romans 8:14-17, 2 Peter 1:3-4.

The only Church that meets all the requirements of Salvation is the Holy Catholic Church.

Peter said...

I am often tempted, on hearing that question, to ask, "Saved from what?"But there is an answer, and Bill Green articulates it well: saved from meaninglessness.

Although I reject high Christology ("Jesus is Lord") and Substitutionary Atonement, I find validity, meaning and everlasting love and support in relationship with God.

It's a journey together, with many wonderful stops along the way. Thanks for this, James.

PS: You and I are both members of the holy catholic church (note absence of caps).

RJ said...

Glad to have shared...

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...