Thursday, February 2, 2012

New sermon ending...

You know, from time to time, my worship/sermon notes change as the week unfolds.  Sometimes I throw the whole bad boy away by the time Sunday comes, other times I make refinements to the text all week long and then there are those moments when a new closing makes itself known.  That happened today while I was visiting a church friend at her home.
Now, truth be told, I had a hunch that my written ending was going to change all week long - I just had no idea how it would come to pass.

So, as we were talking together about her recent trials in the hospital and the ups and downs of faith and fear she told me – and I think it is so true that I want to tell you, too - she said, “I really miss BEING in church – with the people – with the community.” She smiled and went on:

"Don't get me wrong, I love your preaching – it challenges and nourishes me on so many levels – and sometimes I get lost in the music.  But what I miss the most is the people.”  And before I could ask why, she added, “What I have come to experience with our people – and notice I said OUR because now this is MY church, too – is that there is a living, gentle love here that really matters. 

It isn’t pushy – it doesn’t assertive itself or ask to be noticed – and it will leave you alone if that is what you need. But when you need something – and can be open to itthis living, gentle love reaches up and holds you and brings you whatever it is you need.  Sometimes it is food, sometimes it is prayer, sometimes it is a ride home from the hospital, sometimes it is just being present. And that is what is so different from all the other churches I've been to– that is what the radical hospitality is all about – our people give you space to be totally you but still find a way to share their love with you gently.” 

 I was stunned – blessed and humbled, too – because she was talking about us – this group of saints and sinners working together to make Jesus real.  Well, actually she was talking about you and me and the living presence of Jesus, too – and maybe we should add the Apostle Paul.  Do you recall how he spoke of our ministry? 



The Bible tells us that “Jesus came to her bedside, took her by the hand and raised her up – and as the fever left her she immediately got up and began to serve them.”  I would add "with a gentle love." For this is the good news for today for those who have ears to hear.

1 comment:

Peter said...

I think it's more of anew sermon beginning, my man. ;)

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...