Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rest in peace Soul Man...

I just saw that Mr. Soul - Don Cornelius - apparently took his life yesterday and is dead at age 75.
 
 I always grieve when told of a suicide. I have never known such empty despair and heartache so I try never to judge or criticize.  Mostly I weep and try to hold the person and their family close to God in prayer.  How many times did I watch "Soul Train" and marvel at the music - or look in stunned disbelief at some of the dance moves - or wonder where in all the world such sexy dancers came from?  "Soul Train" was always a joy for this white boy.
 

As others have noted, Cornelius introduced Black culture to middle America - and all of the races were the better for his sensitivity and commitment.  Dick Clark may have helped bring rock and roll to the masses - and this was a sweet gift - but Don Cornelius helped us get funky - and that was beautiful.

So as he used to say at the close of each show:  "We wish you love, peace and soul..." and God knows America needed more soul.  It still does. Rest in peace, dear soul man, rest in peace.
 
(check it out: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/arts/music/don-cornelius-soul-train-creator-is-dead-at-75.html?partner=rss&emc=rss)



No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...