Saturday, November 10, 2012

a short post-election thought...

This morning our puppy had a play-date with my daughter's new puppy - and her loved one fixed us an incredible "brunch" that was perfect in every way - what a great way to spend a Saturday in the Berkshires.  It was refreshing to watch the pups play together - so much energy - and so much attention to being puppies together, too.  The autumn day was warm, sharing stories was delightful and at the end of the visit both two-legged and four-legged creatures had experienced a good and gentle time.

I note this because in the USA after the recent presidential election there has been much hand-wringing among Republicans and evangelical Christians about the "secularization" of America.  To be sure, older white Protestant men are no longer the majority voting block - and that is a blessing for us all - and too long in coming.  At the same time, however, as this map shows, while the Democrats did a superior job at mobilizing ALL their constituents, we still have much more in common than we often realize.  We are more purple than either blue or red, more compassionate than selfish, more alike than different whether we celebrate the sacred as Jews, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists or nones.

Sometimes, we think ourselves into a fit.  I like the way Mary Oliver's new poem puts our frantic introspection into perspective:

Have I lived enough?
Have I loved enough?
Have I considered Right Action enough, have I
   come to any conclusion?
Have I experienced happiness with sufficient gratitude?
Have I endured loneliness with grace?

I say this, or perhaps I'm just thinking it.
   Actually, I probably think too much.

Then I step out into the garden,
where the gardener, who is said to be a simple man,
      is tending his children, the roses.

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...