Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Saying goodbye to Casey...

After almost 16 years, we are getting ready to say goodbye to our very old and now very enfeebled Catahoula hound dog/Lab mix:  Casey.  He has been a loyal friend in every way. He has also been Dianne's protector and a source of mixed blessings for me.  Di is VERY close to this old rounder - he has always made her laugh when she was worried or sad - and even through arthritis, has stayed by her side to make certain she was safe.  He is fiercely loyal, took on coyotes and won, a genuine comedian and a gentle soul despite his sometimes combative nature.

Casey came into our household in a moment of personal weakness when we lived in Tucson.  For years, Dianne had been making the case for bringing a four legged one into our house. So one Saturday morning when I was somehow entranced by a power greater than myself, I found myself in the animal shelter.  I had come thinking we might look at German Shepherds, but they were all too squirelly and neurotic.  And there sat Casey - he had been part of another family who couldn't take his chewing - and he was so well behaved.  At first I didn't pay much attention to this odd little brown beast... but after leaving the shelter we sensed we needed to go back and spend time visiting with him.  And before I knew what was happening, Casey was a part of the family.  It was almost Christmas time and I still recall sitting in the rocker helping him go to sleep those first few nights in a new home.

In time he came to eat my sweaters, pick fights with other male dogs, drive me crazy and work his way into my heart.  He and I regularly had alpha dog show downs because, truth be told, he is just as stubborn as me.

I've never put a dog down before in all my 60 years.  Our family pets either ran away or I was away at school when their time for death arrived.  So as much as Casey and I have had our ups and downs,these past few months of giving him hospice care have been a blessing.  I have no idea how I will feel after Friday except to say I will miss his sweet, stubborn self in ways I can't yet imagine.  We both have been blessed by his time with us and life will be sad and empty without him - but his agony is so harsh that the time has come to say goodbye to our old friend.

1 comment:

Peter said...

You are all in my heart this day.

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...