Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Living into the wisdom of our worship part three: reflection...

NOTE:  Here are my worship notes for Sunday, May 19, 2013 - the Feast of Pentecost - join us if you are able @ 10:30 am.

Introduction
I am not a Buddhist – although I love the Buddha and have learned a great deal about watching and waiting from the path of Zen.  I am not a Jew – even though my spirituality is saturated in the edgy Hebraic notion that the best way into intimacy with the Lord has something to do with sharing compassion, doing justice and embracing humility rather than hubris.  I am not a Muslim either despite the fact that I sometimes pray using the passionate and incomprehensible name Allah.  No, I am a Christian – one who seeks to be faithful by loving others the way Jesus has loved me – plain and simple.

·       I’m not a particularly good Christian, mind you, because after all these years I still wake up in the middle of the night fretting about things I can’t control.  Jesus told us “let your hearts not be troubled… believe in me” – that is, trust and rest in me – because the Father and I are one and I will bring you peace.

·       But I still fight him on this one over and over – small wonder my favorite quote from the Bible is “come unto me all ye who are tired and heavy laden and I shall give thee… rest,” right?

What’s more, like Philip in the gospel text for today, after spending all this time with Jesus both personally and professionally – in worship and prayer, on retreat, in seminary, in study or in long and meditative walks through the woods – I still forget to trust that Jesus will not leave me alone no matter where my wandering takes me.  He said to Philip – and by implication to you and me, too – what is at the heart of Pentecost:

Have I been with you all this time and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, “Show us the Father”? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; and if you do not, then start to believe because of the works themselves.

Apparently proximity does not automatically confer spiritual wisdom or intimacy any more than sitting all night in your garage makes you a car or howling all night makes you a coyote, right?  Something more is involved, something Jesus called belief – trust – surrender to the love that is greater than ourselves.

Believe in me… and I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.  If you trust and love me, you will start keeping my commandments.  And to help you I will ask the Father and God will give you another Advocate who will be with you forever.  I’m talking about the very Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

This is how Christians grow closer to the Lord:  we learn to trust.  It isn’t a better way into the presence of God than that offered in Islam or Judaism or even the path of the Buddha – it is just our way – trust and believe and you will come to see that I am in the Father and the Father is in me.  And for most of us it takes a life time to put this into practice in a deep and honest way.  Trusting God is NOT something we can purchase or create – it is not automatic – it takes time and lots and lots of reflection.

Insights
That’s what we are calling part three of doing worship in our tradition – reflection – a time to explore and consider the new/old wisdom of tradition for a new generation.  For the past two weeks we’ve been talking about how to incorporate the wisdom of our worship into our ordinary lives.  So we started with gathering and being centered, moved on to what it means to engage God and one another in part two and now we’re ready to consider what it means to reflect on the new/old wisdom of Christ for our time and culture.

Now notice two things:  our reflection begins with the wisdom of the Christian tradition before we think about ourselves.  That isn’t accidental, ok?  To practice reflection in our tradition means that we’re willing to trust – at least for about 20 minutes one day of every week –  that we are not the center of the universe.  And that’s a radical and counter-cultural insight.  It suggests that we don’t know everything – that our lives and problems and obsessions and sins are not the totality of creation – that the way of the Lord is greater and bigger than we could ever imagine.

I am a big fan of the way the mystical poet of Islam, brother Rumi, put it in this small poem:

Who makes these changes?
I shoot an arrow right.
It lands left.

I ride after a deer and find myself
Chased by a hog.

I plot to get what I want
And end up in prison.
I dig pits to trap others
And fall in.
I should be suspicious
Of what I want.

In authentic Christian reflection, therefore, we are suspicious of what we want and so turn to the distilled wisdom of the past in something we call scripture.  G.K. Chesterton put it like this: Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about.  And specifically in our Sunday morning reflections we consider the spiritual wisdom of our parents in faith – Judaism – as well as the tradition of their children in the New Testament.

·      Is that first insight clear?  That doing reflection in our realm begins by looking at what others who have gone before us have learned about faith, hope and love?  That we consciously choose to listen to something deeper than the current buzz or spin of the moment?  That we are willing to learn how to become suspicious of what we want?

·      How do you react to that?

Reflection begins with what others have learned and experienced in their pursuit of intimacy with God – and always the heart of that reflection is God rather than we ourselves, ok?  That’s part one of how we do reflection – and part two is what we’re doing right now – sharing stories, insights, the result of study and our personal reactions to the scriptures.  Judaism speaks of this as Midrash:  a contemporary and creative wrestling with the word of God in search of practical and theological truths for our generation.  Some scholars have said that the whole of the New Testament is midrash upon the Word of the Lord revealed in the Law and the Prophets.

That implies that in this second part of reflection – our seeking contemporary insights and reactions to tradition – that involves both a studied and educated articulation of that tradition as well as our personal response.  We are not, you see, just reacting like children to something new and strange, ok?  There is both some educated leadership required in reflection as well as space and time for our personal reaction.

·      Is that clear – that authentic reflection is not simply whatever pops into our heads or hearts – but part of a process that includes study, preparation and prayer as well as immediate existential feedback?

·      Let me ask you this:  after the reading of scripture, what are the ways that this time is most helpful to you?  What helps you go deeper into the tradition and wisdom of God in a sermon or conversation in faith?  Any thoughts?

Well, here’s what I’ve been thinking about as I’ve considered the gospel text for today and how it might make a difference for us in light of Pentecost: it gives us permission to take as much time as we need to honestly trust and believe in God’s love.  Even our whole lives, ok?  Many times in our celebration of Pentecost we emphasize the power and energy of the Holy Spirit falling upon the heads of the disciples – how it transformed them from people of fear and confusion into bold and public servants of Christ’s love – it is a story filled with dramatic energy and authority.

But most days I don’t feel like that, do you?  Most days I’m more like Philip in the gospel lesson who misunderstands and worries more than he trusts.  “Come on, Jesus,” he says, “just show me the Father, for God’s sake, quit all this mystery and cut to the chase.”  He seems restless and agitated to me – not grounded in the promise of grace and peace – and that restlessness feels pretty honest.  And here’s what I’ve discovered by reflecting on and studying the scriptures and the commentaries on these texts:  there are a whole bunch of other worriers in the Bible, too who don’t grasp or claim the peace and grace of the Lord all at once.  Like me, they needed a lot of time before this tradition started to take root deep within them.

I particularly found the reflections of Alyce McKenzie, Professor of Preaching at
Perkins School of Theology, insightful when she wrote:  think about all those people who walked and talked and even studied with Jesus who still had questions and doubts.


There is Philip who asks Jesus to show him the Father, while Jesus, in whom the Father dwells and through whom the Father works is standing right next to him. "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" (14:9). There is Nicodemus who doesn't get how he is supposed to climb back into the womb when he is a grown man. "How can one be born after having grown old?"(3:4) There is the woman at the well who doesn't understand how she's supposed to get living water when the well is too deep. "Sir, you have no bucket and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water?" (4:11) There is the man by the pool of Bethzatha who thinks healing can come from bubbling water while the Healer stands right next to him. "Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; and while I am making my way, some-one else steps down ahead of me" (5:7). There is Thomas, who in chapter 14 has just revealed a literal understanding of "the Way" (14:5). "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus then tells him "I am the Way, the truth and the life."  (http:// www.patheos.com/Progressive-Christian/Intimate-Pentecost-Alyce-McKenzie-05-10-2013? offset=1&max=1)

·       Now I don’t know about you, but I find this catalogue of questioners very reassuring, don’t you?  They didn’t have to comprehend the fullness of Christ’s blessing all at once.

·        In fact, Jesus keeps coming back to them – with a personal interest and concern for their unique fears and doubts – until they are able to welcome and receive his peace.

Conclusion
For some of us, learning to rest and not fret is how we come to trust God’s love.  Believing, it would seem, take time – so we need not be in a rush.  How did the poet of Israel, Isaiah, put it?

They who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint:  teach me, Lord, teach me, Lord, to wait.
 
credit:
2) Matthew Nelson, "Sacred Spaces: Sunset" @http://www. working preacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=1698
3) Network of Biblical Story Tellers @ http://www.nbsint.org/john148-17
4) Mark Lawrence, "I Give to You: John 14: 27" @ http://www. greatbig canvas.com/view/i-give-to-you-john-1427,ml0180029/

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...