Sunday, September 8, 2013

Back in the groove...

Today was one of those days that make you grateful to be alive.  After a full and deep rest, I headed in to church for my first Sunday back after vacation. On Friday, a small crew joined me as we "dressed" the Sanctuary for our observance of "the season of creation." That was a total gas and the results were stunning.  But you never know how others will react to your artistic creativity...
... thanks be to God it was received with grace and enthusiasm!  We had a reasonably full house in worship for a stunning fall day with a good mix of children, families and older adults of various backgrounds and needs.  We celebrated Eucharist, sang with gusto and talked about how nature truly is God's FIRST word. Our world truly is a revelation of the depth of the Lord's creativity.  And we'll keep talking about what we can learn of the Holy One as we journey through the various aspects of creation over the next six weeks. (Next Sunday, for example, we'll wrestle with the mystery of storms!)

.


After worship, as I sat and took it all in, including the special congregational meeting we held afterwards to consider new directions in financial stability, I had to confess that I love what I do.  And as I was working on parts of the upcoming liturgies realized that life is too short to NOT do a blessing of the animals celebration close to St. Francis Day. I have always loved Francis - and have cherished being a part of the procession at St. John the Divine - and don't want to go through another year without sharing the fun here, too.  So, while I don't know all the details, I do know that my little four-legged "teacher" will be a part of the throng sharing her blessings with all the other sacred friends and pets. 
As the day came to a close I had to engage in a special special treat so I bought two little pumpkins for our home:  for some reason I have always loved pumpkins - they are just so happy and precious to me - and I couldn't resist.  I give thanks to God for my precious family and my community of faith - and give special thanks to those who do ministry with me on Council and staff - you are all signs of a deep grace. 

2 comments:

Peter said...

Is that your new guitar, James? And has Di e covered from blowing up the world's largest globe? :)

RJ said...

Not my new one yet, Peter, a borrowed friend until I can get up the nerve to start looking. And thankfully Di has recovered. She is off to the doctor's right now with a mysterious and troubling pain in her right fore arm. More as it unfolds.

Lots of love,
J

lent four: god so loved the kosmos...

Text: John 3: 14-21: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes i...