Thursday, September 5, 2013

Into the unknown...

In about one hour I am off to play a jazz gig - the first without Di as our vocalist in almost 3 years - and I must confess a little melancholia.  The time has come for her to explore other musical/artistic efforts that feed her soul and I am very supportive of the change.  But I will miss sharing the groove with her...
Tonight will be a complete roll of the dice as I don't even know who will be sharing the bandstand.  Our regular piano man has another commitment on Thursdays and there have been no personnel updates by email so, who the hell knows?  It could be a gas - it could be a bust - all I know is that it is still a mystery to me right now.

If we're a quartet - sax, drums, guitar and bass - I know that I will want to play laid back standards.  If there are some guest horn players joining the mix, I am totally down with some funk and soul jazz grooves.  And if we're just a trio it could mean a ton of bossa nova tunes.  

I'll start out on the upright again and see if my fingers can make two sets this time.  In so many ways, this is a highly PHYSICAL instrument and I am going to have to build up my endurance.  I love the sound, but man does it take a whole lot of effort to make it ring!  It is a workout in ways that make playing the electric bass a walk in the park.
So, much as I like knowing the lay of the land before a gig, I am off into the unknown tonight... more on the flip side.

UPDATE:  So the gig was a quartet with a few special guests on sax and violin.  Some of it was really smoking and fun - some brought on a little anxiety but I dealt with it - and there weren't any real train wrecks.  Our young sax friend, Bella, is really fun - a great dancer - and very talented player so we had a gas with Herbie Mann's "Comin' Home Baby" and Joe Zawinal/Cannonball Adderly's take on "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy."  I'm glad to have played AND I played the whole gig on the upright!  

No comments:

lent four: god so loved the kosmos...

Text: John 3: 14-21: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes i...