Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Lord, awaken me...

Today will be a full day of pastoral visits, midday Eucharist and planning meetings.  As I read Fr. Richard Rohr's words, it was clear they deepened what I wrote in my worship notes for this Sunday:

We live a long time in order to become lovers. God is like a good parent, refusing to do our homework for us. We must learn through trial and error. We have to do our homework ourselves, the homework of suffering, desiring, loving, winning and losing, hundreds of times.


Grief is one of the greatest occasions of deep and sad feeling, and it’s one that is socially acceptable. Most understand and want to walk with you in your grief. When we lose a beloved friend, wife, husband, child, parent, or maybe a possession or a job, we feel it is okay to feel deeply. But we must broaden that. We’ve got to find a passion that is also experienced when we have it, not just when we’re losing it. And we have it all the time. Don’t wait for loss to feel, suffer, or enjoy deeply. But the grief process is still a marvelous teacher and awakener; for many men, in particular, it is the only emotion that shakes them to their core.

May the passion of God's love awaken me, Lord, to the bounty of joy and suffering within me and all around me.

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...