Saturday, November 9, 2013

Gratitude...

We had a whirlwind trip to Brooklyn over the past 24 hours - it has been a full 5 weeks since our grandson Louis came into the world - and we have been aching to see him and his Momma and Poppa.  Last week was demanding so we were slow moving before we left - and when we got to the city at rush hour found ourselves moving the last 40 miles in about 90 minutes - so it was a quiet and sweet evening of bouncing the baby and sharing great Mexican food with the kids.
Today was equally quiet with a long walk through the park and the 'hood before heading home to Pittsfield.  Two very clear thoughts came to me during this quick sojourn south:  1) Holding our little buddy Louis put life into perspective - I only have time and energy for that which is kind and gentle and just - all the rest is a time suck that drains me. And 2) my Sunday message for this week is inadequate on so many levels; so I rewrote it in my head driving home to more accurately celebrate the gentle warriors of Veteran's Day who have strengthened my peace-making commitments over the past 30+ years.

One vet put it like this in her prayer for those with PTSD:

Loving God, Higher Power,
I know it is not within the harmony of the universe
   that I be healed from the trauma of remembering without pain.
So help me through the pain.
Surround me with the golden light of healing,
   fill me with the white light of peace and love.
Help me to bear the pain as I go through the memories.
Help me to cry.
Help me to remember.
Help me to love myself no matter what happened to me
   or what I did to survive.
Help me to release and let go of my survival skill,
   the things such as anger and numbness that helped keep me alive
   as I become aware of how ineffective they are 
   in getting me what I want today.
Fill me with light and love until I am green and growing again
   in the harmony of the universe
   if it be Thy will.  Amen.

For all that is sacred and fills us with gratitude, we're going to play this Brubeck composition to kick off tomorrow's worship.  He calls it "Dziekuje" which means thank you in Polish.

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...