Tuesday, September 11, 2018

l'arche breaks down barriers with love and humility...

This morning Di is teaching Japanese students English via Skype and the Internet. Amazing, yes? I am sipping hot tea in another room, listening to Jean Vanier on Youtube and thinking about something I experienced at L'Arche Ottawa over the past few days. It began at Saturday's anniversary: a birthday party for the community. One core member, Louise, has been present since the start some 46 years ago. The community's first leader, Mary, was present, too along with three other past leaders - Donna, John and Raphael - as well as the current shepherd, Daniella. A great cloud of living witnesses.

What hit me as I took it all in is that each person was present simply to be there! Not to make speeches. Or be recognized. Not to do anything extraordinary except enjoy the party and return thanks to God. Of course,there were words of gratitude. And lots of hugs. A community birthday cake, songs and simple decorations, too. But the heart of the party had to do with just being together. It was a festival of tender belonging and honest humility.

So I've been walking around with that truth and letting it swim through my consciousness over the weekend. As an intellectual I often strive to see reality through the lens of theology. That exercise has its place, to be sure, but it is also self-limiting - and incomplete. At last night's community meeting - the monthly gathering where prayers are shared, songs offered, core members and assistants visit with one another, and personal anniversaries and birthdays are celebrated - I had an epiphany. This community has learned how to discard the false distinctions between the sacred and the secular. They are fully incarnational! (for some important theological reflection, please see Fr. Richard Rohr's recent series re: the early Church @
https://cac.org/christ-is-everyman-and-everywoman-2018-09-10/)

That's my theological techno-speak for how L'Arche loves the real person just as they are, and, honors whatever brings joy, hope and integrity. At last night's gathering one woman, Chastity, was celebrated on her 19th anniversary of living in community. She was given a handmade stole with pictures of her favorite blues artist! The look of unbridled ecstasy on her face - and the laughter and joy among all the people - was holy ground. Another celebration for 8 years in community included a stole with pictures of the person's favorite drink. Other anniversaries were marked with similar stoles - symbols of the towel Jesus wore while kneeling to wash the feet of his disciples as a servant with love - each followed by a song: Thank you, Lord, for giving us (name) right where we are... Alleluia, praise the Lord..."

Incarnational is when the Word (or idea) of God becomes flesh. Dismantling all false distinctions between the sacred and secular means being fully present in the moment and recognizing what is real. Not the ideal. Not the perfect. But the human. L'Arche often helps me know that while I have a ton of theological education - and 40 years of pastoral experience - I am still an infant when it comes to making the words of my faith flesh. Like St. Paul wrote: "Though I speak with the tongues of humanity and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. Though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."

On the occasion of his 90th birthday yesterday, L'Arche founder, Jean Vanier, shared his 10 Rules for Life on Youtube. They, too, are simple expressions of the ways he has learned to make the love of Jesus real in his lifetime. Note there is no theological jargon in this list. No abstractions either.

1. Accept the reality of your body.

2. Talk about your emotional/physical difficulties: being human is to love reality.

3. Don’t be afraid of failure: fear of weakness.

4. Take time to ask: how are you – avoid the tyranny of normality.

5. Put your phone down and be present.

6. Ask another: what’s YOUR story?

7. Know your OWN story – you are precious – so what are you afraid of? 


8. Overcome prejudice by meeting others; this is how peace happens.

9. Listen to your deepest desire and follow it.

10. Remember that one day you will die.

Clear, humble words. Clear, simple practices that distill the essence of the inward and outward journey. People matter. Listening is the way to practice loving. Meeting others carries us beyond fear and the tyranny of normalcy. And knowing that we will die is simple humility. You can watch Vanier here:



Early on I recognized that my affinity with L'Arche Ottawa is just as much about my vulnerability and inner healing as it is being present with others. I am so grateful.

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...