Saturday, June 23, 2012

The count-down has REALLY begun...

Ok, I'm toast and the count-down for vacation has begun... but along the way I paused to check in on my friend, Black Pete's, blog. (check it out here: redwineandgarlic.blogspot.com/)  And as is often the case, I was moved - not just by what he shared (that is good) - but also by the quotes along side his writing.  These three particularly resonate with me:

+ “What I've come to learn is that the world is never saved in grand messianic gestures, but in the simple accumulation of gentle, soft, almost invisible acts of compassion, everyday acts of compassion. In South Africa they have a phrase called ubuntu. Ubuntu comes out of a philosophy that says, the only way for me to be human is for you to reflect my humanity back at me.” writer/poet Chris Abani

+ "We have to fight the dangerous streams in culture, the consumerism and narcissism and me-ism that erode the borders of our moral culture. We can’t put shallow celebrity before core decency. We have to have a deeper faith in the human spirit. As they say, he who has the heart to help has the right to complain."  Cory Booker, mayor of Newark, who ignored his security team's advice, and rushed into a burning building to save a child

+ "Dance first. Think later. It's the natural order."  Samuel Beckett

We watched the lovely French film, Summer Hours, tonight after Di got home from a tough day at work.  And over the closing credits came an odd little song:  "That is probably a new/retro band," says I "but they sure sound like the Incredible String Band."  And, sure as shooting it WAS the Incredible String Band doing "Little Cloud."  Damn, but we're ready...

2 comments:

Peter said...

I am delighted beyond words that someone takes the time to read the quotes in my blog--I choose them carefully, and each one has a lot to say to us.

Bon voyage, James!

RJ said...

I know you do - it is very clear to me - and I love them. Thanks for the blessings and... next year in Thunder Bay, peut-etre? Lots of love.
J

lent four: god so loved the kosmos...

Text: John 3: 14-21: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes i...