Wednesday, June 15, 2016

the summons....

There was a running "in" joke on HBO's "The Sopranos" wherein Silvio (Lil Steven Van Zandt of E Street Band fame) did his Al Pacino/Godfather routine for the brothers.
\\
I can't tell you how many times I have done that same bit - "just when I thought I was out..." - over these past 14 months. Just when I sense that ministry in this form is over, God pulls me back in. Sunday was the baptism of a beloved father and his two wonderful children. As the day unfolded and I was wracked with anguish over Orlando, I was also in prayerful conversation with a few church leaders about our shared work for the next year. Yesterday was our interfaith Vigil for Orlando. And today, in addition to midday Eucharist, was a tender and moving conversation with a person who is discerning a deep call into ministry. after a long season in the wilderness. Like I said:  "Just when I thought I was out..." John Bell of the Iona Community captured it well in his hymn:  "The Summons."

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,

Will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.



No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...