Wednesday, May 1, 2019

the holy ground of quiet presence....

On Monday of this week, I had the privilege of playing DJ as some truly talented and brave poets gathered for the monthly "Word X Word Poetry Reading." About 55+ people gathered at the Berkshire Museum for an hour of poems, sharing, community building and being together with complicated differences, truths and insights. There was laughter and awe, tears and silence. We were old and young and in-between. We were women, men, bi and gender fluid individuals as well as rich, poor and working people who were open to trusting the spirit of truth and beauty together - at least for an hour. I had fun mixing songs between the poems and setting the groove before the reading opened. I can't wait to do it again next month.

After wards, a young man stopped me and asked, "Didn't you used to be the pastor of First Church right across the street?" I smiled and said, "Yes, it was my privilege to serve that community for 10 years." He paused and then smiled shyly adding, "I have wanted to stop over and tell you something that happened years and years ago... but I never got around to it. One morning, I woke up and just felt like I needed to go to church. I was raised in the church but was never particularly religious. But my girl friend and I had just gone through a horrible time. She was hurting and in grief. And my world felt upside down and ripped apart. So we just went. And wound up at your church." I nodded silently as he continued: "What I wanted to tell you is that just being there was so healing. And calming. The people were kind and open. And the music lifted me in just the right way. I am so glad I saw you tonight so that I could tell you how much being there meant to me."

Creating safe space - like at church or the poetry reading - is crucial when individuals find themselves aching and alone. To gather together with music, art, silence and gentle words in a non-judgmental setting can be life saving. I know it is life altering. In this too fast, too full, too demanding culture, this is quiet work - a ministry of presence - that goes on in good times and bad. I know that sometimes when I was doing ministry full time, I failed to appreciate the significance of just sharing a quiet presence. But over the years I cam to cherish it. I left the poetry reading on Monday returning thanks to God for the importance of sharing a quiet presence. I also thanked God for the poetry, community and music that was shared. It was holy ground.  

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...