Saturday, March 20, 2010

Trashy tunes that still feel good...

Last night I listened to Lady Gaga's new hit, "Telephone," and read an article about it by NPR's Douglas Hopper www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124909700&ft=1&f=1008 in which he suggests that her Lady-ship is to 2010 what Cyndi Lauper was to the 90s, and I found a whole new appreciation for the world of Gaga. From the start I have seen her as a smart, savvy, sexy and sophisticated pop diva who not only knows how to craft pop-hooks that get under your skin, but shake your booty, too. Just check out her current playful/faux cynicism with Beyonce in this interracial nouveaux "Thelma and Louise" dance track that already has 250 MILLION youtube hits...


OMG - I started having visions of Madonna - Cyndi Lauper - Mick Jagger - James Brown - Little Richard - Bob Dylan as the Trickster - Frank Zappa and countless others. Now most of the time I write about music from the perspective of the sacred, incarnational and compassionate. But let's face it: there are some terrific trashy tunes that just make us FEEL good! And that is a blessing, too, yes?

And that set my troubled mind on a search last night and this morning for some of my all-time favorite trashy songs that I once loved and still cherish. You probably have your own and I would love to know what they are. VH1 calls them "Guilty Pleasures" (in a show hosted by one of my favorite guilty pleasures: William Shatner!) So here's my list - send me yours.

1950s: There are five that NEVER fail to get my mojo workin' - and have had pretty much the same effect on me since I first heard them at about age 5 in my auntie's basement:
+ "Good Golly Miss Molly" and "Tuitti Fruitti" by the incomparable Little Richard
+ "Hard Headed Woman" by the King himself: Elvis Presley
+ "Carol" by another giant: Chuck Berry
+ "Great Balls of Fire" by the MAN - the Killer - Jerry Lee (freakin') Lewis


1960s: I could got totally mental here but have kept the list down to the five essentials in the trashy songs department that always get my ass out onto the dance floor...
+ "Liar, Liar" by the Castaways (dig this clip from under appreciated film classic "It's a Bikini World")
+ "Lies" by the Beatles sound alike band from NYC: the Knickerbockers
+ "Gloria" by the Shadows of the Night
+ "Sally Go Round the Roses" by the Jaynettes
+ "Pushin Too Hard" by the Seeds


1970s: this was an equally daunting decade to keep the list to five but here we go... (and as the lists continue I see why I am a Lady Gaga-ite.)
+ "Shake Your Booty" by the Florida legends KC and the Sunshine Band
+ "Brown Sugar" in what was their least PC hit ever: the Rolling Stones
+ "Play That Funky Music White Boy" by Wild Cherry
+ "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees
+ "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer


1980s: and the songs keep getting trashier... and now my children are dancing to them, too!
+ "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc
+ "Nasty Boys" by Janet Jackson all grown up
+ "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by the one armed drummer et al in Def Leppard
+ "Addicted to Love" by the late Robert Palmer (who had a GREAT video)
+ "Money" by the dadaist band Flying Lizards


1990s: what do you think: are there more?
+ "Respect Yourself" by another great trashy lady: Madonna
+ "Cream" by the master of men's trashy music: Prince
+ "U Can't Touch This" by the man with the great pants: MC Hammer
+ "Cowboy" in which Kid Rock blends Run DMC with Lynyrd Skynyrd

2000: only four so far...
+ "Unbelievable" - by EMF
+ "Lady Marmalade" by the new trashy queens: Christina Aquilera, Lil Kim and Pink
+ "Shut Up and Drive" by Rhianna (my all time favorite)
+ "Girl Friend" by the totally nasty Avril Lavigne

Well, this is clearly not my most edifying list of tunes - BUT - they do get some of us back into our bodies and dancing and I think that is a damn good thing.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Supergirl, by The Fugs; Happy Together by Flo & Eddie, with Frank Zappa; Great Balls of Fire, by Tiny Tim; and just to throw a spin into everything, Good Lovin' by the Rascals (aka Young Rascals).

RJ said...

Oooh I love them all: just danced last week in Tucson to Good Lovin' - thanks my man. Perfect!

Peter said...

Ooops, almost forgot one the ultimate trashy songs: Billy Ocean's "(I Want You to ) Be my Lover". In fact, just about his entire oeuvre...

the wisdom and grace of mystery...

In this week's summary of reflections at the Center for Contemplation and Action, Barbara Brown Taylor's synthesis of the apophatic ...