Monday, May 24, 2010

Going underground...

For the next full week, I will be away from my computer. It seems kind of funny that in the heart of what was one of the birthplaces of contemporary technology - the Bay Area - I won't have real access to the Internet. But as my lover says: "It will be good for you! Go and just be present with your brother." So, I am off to be with Phil and Julie in their sweet condo in the Mission...

Di has lent me her camera so that I can take some pictures of this pilgrimage. I imagine that there are a host of street scenes that will find their way to this blog when I get back: the Haight, jazz clubs, the Castro, lots and lots of North Beach, Golden Gate Park and the beautiful San Francisco Bay. I also need to take pictures of Phil and Julie. I realized that when my sister, Linda, died nearly 18 years ago, I didn't have any pictures of her. Same when my mom died four years ago. And while I expect Phil to be around for a long, long time, I am very aware that there are no guarantees... and I need to update my photos. (This one is Phil from a much different era; and while his hair and beard are still the same length, he now looks more like Jerry Garcia than Grizzly Adams.)

So while I will miss Dianne fiercely - she can't join me because of her work schedule - at the same time, I know that now is the right time for this trip. It has been too long...

1 comment:

Peter said...

Travelling mercies, RJ.

the wisdom and grace of mystery...

In this week's summary of reflections at the Center for Contemplation and Action, Barbara Brown Taylor's synthesis of the apophatic ...