The recently departed Wendell Berry, apostle of God's abundance in a slow life, put it like this:
The woods is shining this morning.
Red, gold and green, the leaves
lie on the ground, or fall,
or hang full of light in the air still.
Perfect in its rise and in its fall, it takes
the place it has been coming to forever.
It has not hastened here, or lagged.
See how surely it has sought itself,
its roots passing lordly through the earth.
See how without confusion it is
all that it is, and how flawless
its grace is. Running or walking, the way
is the same. Be still. Be still.
After a joyous month of going slowly in both urban and rural Québec, where we walked and watched, listened and sang together at the speed of Anna (our blessed granddaughter with whom we celebrated her 9th trip around the sun), we returned home to car troubles and emergency oral surgery. That is behind us now, so it's time to harvest the tomatoes, savor the sunlight, and do what we can to keep the pace gentle. My congregation and I have taken the next steps in extending my time of ministry - and I am wildly grateful.
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
The woods is shining this morning.
Red, gold and green, the leaves
lie on the ground, or fall,
or hang full of light in the air still.
Perfect in its rise and in its fall, it takes
the place it has been coming to forever.
It has not hastened here, or lagged.
See how surely it has sought itself,
its roots passing lordly through the earth.
See how without confusion it is
all that it is, and how flawless
its grace is. Running or walking, the way
is the same. Be still. Be still.
“He moves your bones, and the way is clear.”
After a joyous month of going slowly in both urban and rural Québec, where we walked and watched, listened and sang together at the speed of Anna (our blessed granddaughter with whom we celebrated her 9th trip around the sun), we returned home to car troubles and emergency oral surgery. That is behind us now, so it's time to harvest the tomatoes, savor the sunlight, and do what we can to keep the pace gentle. My congregation and I have taken the next steps in extending my time of ministry - and I am wildly grateful.
My challenge over the next three months is to stay grounded in the rhythms the Creator is revealing in nature, at a time when it would be all too easy to be held for ransom by the turmoil of culture. The absurd cruelties of midterm elections saturate the airwaves. This week marked both the first anniversary of the assassination of Charlie Kirk and the twenty-fifth anniversary of September 11th. Gas and grocery prices are skyrocketing. War rages in Iran, Sudan, Yemen, and Gaza. Parts of Mother Gaia are on fire while others weep in floods, hurricanes, and the excesses of El Nino. It would be easy - and natural - to despair or escape into denial.
Thankfully, Wendell Berry offered an alternative when he rephrased Jesus' advice in a quasi-interview with a reporter from The Atlantic shortly before his death. Berry had articulated this insight long before in a variety of poems, the most famous being "The Peace of Wild Things."
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
His analysis of worry is equally liberating: it is exhausting and unnecessary. He notes that most of the disasters and bad outcomes he's been anxious about have never come to pass. He then references Jesus in St. Matthew's account of the Sermon on the Mount: "Take no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. A more contemporary rendering of this text from Matthew 6: 34 says: So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today. Prompting Berry to conclude: "Taking thought for the morrow is fairly predictably a waste of time... what we call the 'future' is a flimsy and insubstantial thing at best - a phantom we obsess over that never really arrives, or never arrives in the way we imagine." The interview in The Atlantic adds:
By taking thought for the morrow, we have invested and wasted a lot of effort in preparing for morrows that never came. (To which the writer adds: he's right! When we become too obsessed with a future that may or may not befall us, we tend to turn our backs on the moment we're in.") Saying the time is coming when it will be too late to save the world, oh, oh, oh, (suggests) that we and the world are dead already. The present is going by and we are not in it. (Joe Fassler, Atlantic, September 5, 2026.)
Berry does not banish lament. Nor does he surrender to passivity. In his own way and time, he has done what little he actually has control and agency over and calls that sufficient for the day. Tomorrow he will encounter tomorrow with as much equanimity as today - and leave the rest to the Lord. Before his recent death at 92 years, Berry spent most of his sabbath days walking his farm and then writing a sabbath poem as the day's worship. Like his contemporary, Annie Dillard, or his Native American ally, Robin Wall Kimmerer, Wendell Berry married beauty and science with faith filtered through awe. A poem from 1979 captures his essence:
I go among trees and sit still.
All my stirring becomes quiet
around me like circles on water.
My tasks lie in their places
where I left them, asleep like cattle.
Then what is afraid of me comes
and lives a while in my sight.
What it fears in me leaves me,
and the fear of me leaves it.
It sings, and I hear its song.
Then what I am afraid of comes.
I live for a while in its sight.
What I fear in it leaves it,
and the fear of it leaves me.
It sings, and I hear its song.
After days of labor, more in my consternations,
I hear my song at last,
and I sing it. As we sing,
the day turns, the trees move.
(This Day: Collected and New Sabbath Poems)
For me, this is sufficient for today.




No comments:
Post a Comment