Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jesu meets AC/DC...

One of my commitments this week (during vacation part two) is to REALLY practice my guitar playing. Last night I found that I wanted to relearn the electric guitar break to a classic rock song, "You Shook Me All Night Long," by AC/DC. I know the opening riffs in my sleep - and love them - but that middle break is pure ecstasy so by week's end I'm gonna nail it...

At the same time - after practicing that thing for about two hours last night on my acoustic guitar (and let me just note that you CAN'T bend notes like you need except on an electric machine) - I found that I was hearing Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" go through my head, too. So this is gonna be another of those Jesus meets AC/DC weeks...

(Doesn't this guy play it sweetly?) That's the essence of my spirituality in a nutshell: bold and ecstatic embodiment married to inner commitment, compassion and beauty. It is a both/and thing for me - never an either/or - both the feasting of Jesus and the fasting of the Baptizer, yes? Listen to how my boys ZZ Top with the Allman Brothers Band put it in "Jesus Just Left Chicago>"

No comments:

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...