Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Reading the Ramadan and Rosh Hashana texts on Sunday...

This coming Saturday - September 11th 2010 - my small faith community will gather at a local retreat/conference center for a day of reflection and prayer. Our goal: to discern how we might more fully engage both church and allies in the work of our four mission themes including 1) eco-justice 2) social justice 3) peace and 4) hunger. Already 20 people have registered and committed to reading serious theological reflections about each of these four themes.

On Sunday, as a part of our on-going "spirituality of the feast" series we will not only reference our connection with our spiritual cousins in Islam and Judaism during worship, we will lift up readings from both the Holy Qur'an and the liturgy of Rosh Hashanah. What's more, we will use the sacred food from both of these traditions - the date to break the fast of Ramadan and the apple dipped in honey to open Rosh Hashanah - as part of our morning encounter with prayer.

There has been a MASSIVE outpouring of warnings sent to one wounded and even mean-spirited Florida pastor who has proposed burning the Qur'an as a tribute to those martyred on September 11th. But as I told our local newspaper, "That has NOTHING to do with Christianity. It is more akin to the Nazis than Jesus. And what's to follow a book burning? Kristallnacht?"

Tonight I give thanks for our small but faithful group of pilgrims committed to the peace-filled and counter-cultural path of Jesus. Like one old rabbi friend told me, "The more you are like Jesus, the less I have to worry." Amen and amen!


credit: Four Seasons @ http://fineartamerica.com/featured/four-seasons-claude-noel.html

6 comments:

Peter said...

Front page photo in the Berkshire Eagle, no less. Glad you're doing this, James. Keep it up!

jesse said...

great thoughts dad. i just joined the fb group that will read the qu'ran on saturday -- so now i must find one and keep my promise! in a similar spirit to your work this weekend, i decided to lead a club this year (every teacher must choose one) that will focus on World Religion. It makes me sad that we don't anymore -- but I'm excited to begin some discussions and explorations of the similarities of the world's faiths with my 6th, 7th and 8th graders. long live peace and understanding!

RJ said...

I am so glad you are doing this, Jess... you make your old man's heart sing. I have a great book about the "the three amigos" - a pastor, a rabbi and an imam who all share one another's worship and encourage their congregations to do so, too. perhaps when you visit I can share it with you.

Peter... how did you know about the picture?

Peter said...

Simple: I googled "pittsfield newspaper" and the Berkshire Eagle page popped up. Then I went to it and there you were.

BYW, I will be reading from my copy of the Qu'ran Saturday, too, and I'll find that FB group and join it. There's a marvelous statement in the Qu'ran about how all beings in the world (including 40leggeds, etc) are people under Allah. I'll try and find it.

RJ said...

I would love that passage, Peter. Thank you...

Peter said...

"There is not an animal in the earth, or a flying creature, flying on two wings, but they are peoples like you.We have neglected nothing in the Book (of decrees). Then to their Lord they will be gathered.

--5. Al-ma'idah: The Table Spread; 6:38

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...