Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

I am a grateful man as Ash Wednesday comes to a close:  I serve a congregation of loving, gentle and faithful people who are open to the Spirit in unique ways.  They have entered this Lent in a holy and faithful way - young and old, male and female, rich and poor - and ache to find Christ in the least of these "our sisters and brothers."  Tonight we gathered to rest in the beauty of Chopin and folk hymns - mark one another with signs of the Lord's cross - confess our sins, listen to the gospel and share Eucharist.  We prayed for Libya and Wisconsin, our children and our enemies as well as ourselves on this sacred night.  Over and over again I felt myself full to overflowing as my partners in this community of faith knelt to receive the ashes...

We left taking with us a small, smooth stone as a symbol of wandering with Jesus in the wilderness throughout Lent for who knows where this season will lead us as a congregation? All I am certain of tonight is that Jesus was in the house... and that is enough.  And when I got home, to break my fast, my dear buddy Peter from Thunder Bay, Ontario had left a telephone blessing:  I am a very grateful man as this day comes to a close...

2 comments:

Peter said...

"I will call the pebble dare,
And we will walk about, walking..."

RJ said...

One of my favorite songs - By My Side - from one of my favorite shows - Godspell. Thanks for your sweet call, brother.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...