Monday, August 15, 2011

At the start of this week...

This week our worship will use some of the music from U2 to explore God's still speaking voice in our generation.  Over the years, their songs have become prayers for me and I look forward to sharing some of them with our folk during our 10:30 am worship celebration.  I am particularly excited about the gospel choir setting for "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" that we're doing.  Too much fun and joy - and I am so grateful it is coming together.

Four other developments, however, are energizing me as morning breaks on a rainy Berkshire Monday:

+ Our annual Thanksgiving Eve show:  I am starting to line-up participants for the gig on Wednesday, November 23rd at 7:30 pm and can hardly wait to start practicing. This show tries to accomplish four things simultaneously:  a) reclaim the almost lost art of group singing that was once so important to our culture; b) bring together some top local musicians who want to perform and share their gifts in support of raising funds for emergency fuel in this area; c) create a little beauty with American music and poetry at the start of winter; and d) find ways to involve as many people as possible from children to seniors.  Already, a number of folk have enthusiastically re-upped saying, "This is one of the most valuable things we do together each year.  I can't wait!!"

+ Interviewing and hiring a new Christian Education coordinator:  the time has come in our renewal to take another step and really strengthen this ministry.  We have GREAT volunteers who are talented and loving.  And, they needs support and a fresh blast of creativity to help us move to the next level of equipping our children with the tools of the faith. Already two highly talented - and very different - people have visited with me about this part-time position and now we need to have deeper conversations including members of the CE ministry team.  My hope and prayer is to nail this all down before we head out at the start of September for vacation.

+ Let's not forget the return of the Jazz Ambassadors to Patrick's Pub on Thursday, September 1st @ 6:30 pm:  We haven't played together since Turkey - so this will be a reunion of sorts - as well as a concert for peace-making through music.  Other guys in the band have been playing all around this summer - there is a Dixieland contingent and Bennie and Charlie have had their own gigs - and our church band has been rockin' the house, too.  But now we're going to make some JAZZ together and that will be sweet.

+ And for the final Sunday before we head out to vacation, we'll look at the importance of TRADITION in authentically blended worship:  it is a balancing act, yes?  I want to celebrate and honor not only the new, but the time-tested beauty of some of the great hymns and chants of the historic church.  That will be a gas, too!

Today there are pastoral visits to make, interviews to schedule and my last summer class on "celebrating Eucharist" to lead.  As I wrote last week, "sometimes you're the windshield..." Today I celebrate the blessings in our earthen vessels as I head into the day.

No comments:

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...