Thursday, September 15, 2011

Inspector Gamache saves the day...

Do you know the Inspector Armand Gamache murder mystery series set in the Eastern Townships of Quebec?  They are a TON of fun, for those of you who like that stuff, and sweet popular culture character studies, too.  My sweetie turned me on to them - she discovered them two years ago in anticipation of a trip to Montreal - and I've been reading them during our travels. (Check out Louise Penny's website @ http://www.louisepenny.com/)

There are three things that really grab my attention:

+ First, author Louise Penny is good at what she does: she can tell a story, make you care about her characters and knows how to share insights about Quebec, art and psychology in ways that are engaging and informative.  This isn't graduate level study, mind you; but her writing is fun and insightful - and at the end of a long day there is something to be said for good writing that doesn't exhaust a soul, yes?  I think of it like watching "Inspector Morse" or "Inspector Lewis" on PBS Mystery.  Not as gritty or gut wrenching as "Prime Suspect" but well beyond "Miss Marple," too.

+ Second, the characters in the Three Pines series are complex - and grow more nuanced as the stories unfold.  I am fascinated at the way the artist couple in this series both love and hate one an other's professional success. I have been intrigued by the way the Francophone and Anglophone citizens are shown caring for and challenging one another on a variety of levels, too. Penny includes tough speaking old drunks who are never romanticized, gay characters who are not stereotypical "lovable" side kicks and inter-office rivalries that smack of real life.

+ And third, these are humble stories about humble people. I find I don't have much interest in the grand intrigue of Dan Brown's hyperbole. And I'm not much for the "been there, done that" cookie cutter airport novels of John Grisham et al. In every year, there are serious works of fiction to be explored as well as important theological insights and nonfiction essays.  So, when I want to relax, I don't want bullshit - or poor writing - or thrillers that work too hard at keeping my attention. I don't want the pablum of Jan Karon's platitudes either but find my mind isn't always up to Dostoevsky or Joan Didion at the end of a hard day. 

So... I am grateful to find something fun and engaging and good.  Thank you, Louise Penny. (NOTE:  as you must know, I am in LOVE with Quebec, so that has to be figured into all of this, too, ok?  Nevertheless, they are great fun.)

(Arcade Fire - one of the GREAT Montreal bands...)

No comments:

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...