Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tender, humble and deep blessings...

This morning I got a last minute invitation to visit with a local LGBTQ youth group.  I had a lot on my plate - and a jazz gig (in about 30 minutes) - but the presenting issue was bullying and hatred from the religious community.  So... when the Spirit says move, I better move.
I will write more later about my short time with these kids...

Let me just say I wept with them as they spoke of what religion and family has told them over the years.  And I couldn't stop weeping.  So they asked me to respond and at first all I could do was weep.  Until I finally I said, "You know, when I was a kid I was taught that boys don't cry.  And I've spent most of my life trying to hold these tears back... but somewhere about 60 I said fuck it!  Now I just let the tears come whenever they want to."  We all laughed and then got down to business.

It was a tender, humble and deep blessing:  Lord, keep them all safe and nourish their beauty, hope, creativity and love.

1 comment:

Tejas said...

Oh, I'd like to hear more about this, RJ. I'm looking forward to your next post!

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...