Saturday, June 1, 2013

A day in retreat...

Today our church leadership team - council - met for five hours of prayer, conversation and discernment about how we will address the problems of caring for an old building.  Contrary to some management strategies, I thought it best to first start with Eucharist:  this is our foundation - Word and Sacrament.  So we listened to the word of God in four readings:

+ Psalm 23

+ Luke 11: 1-14

+ Luke 18: 1-8

+ Matthew 27: 46

As Peterson's reworking of the Shepherd's Psalm puts it: (with God as my Shepherd) I don’t need a thing... You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing. Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. 

It was essential, I sensed, that we be grounded in faith, hope and love rather than our opinions, fears and so-called facts.  After we shared the bread and a common cup, we were ready to:  1) discuss how our current building helps and hinders our four mission commitments (worship, formation, compassion and justice); 2) articulate what excites and causes fear about our current ministries; and 3) hear report backs from the research team members initiating into how other congregations have solved similar problems.

We broke for lunch, but kept on talking about how to prioritize our calling. So  we're going to let our decisions sit for a few weeks and let the Spirit go to work on our discernment before going public.  But I can joyfully say without reservation that we are on solid footing - stepping out in some new ways by faith - and trusting that God's grace is greater than all our wisdom.  As one member said: It really helped to begin by being grounded in our mission; then we could respond according to the Spirit.  I am a blessed man.

And now we off to a house concert and then tomorrow's worship and musical benefit.

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...