Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gratitude at the end of the day...

In a week I will be on vacation again: first to see my first born daughter one last time before she becomes a momma and then to rest and walk by the ocean with my lover and friend before the busyness of a new year of mission and ministry begins at church.  I am ready and excited - but have 7 more full days before I depart - a whole week of creativity.

Today was mostly administrative, but there were some sweet pastoral visitations, too.  I am so grateful for this part of my work - listening to people and learning to love them as God's beloved - it has brought me countless blessings over the years.  I also received a long note from an old friend from another ministry who has just come out of a long marriage.  She aches and grieves and, at the same time, is finding depth and hope and deep intimacy with God's grace.  And while I grieve for the wounds, I rejoice in the healing.

Tomorrow, we will chill:  cut the grass, walk the dog, clean the house and cook supper for one another in the cool almost autumn weather of our Sabbath.  On Saturday, a few artists will gather in the afternoon to plan how to "dress the Sanctuary" for our observance of two months of "honoring the season of the earth" (an emerging liturgical season during so-called Ordinary Time.)  We will also join some members of the congregation in the evening for a backyard glass of wine and light supper.
On Sunday, my band mates and I will share our take on "a spirituality of jazz: improvisation" with some swingin' songs and playful interpretations of scripture. Then, our allies in the quest for justice and compassion in the LGBTQA work, Sara and Kelly, will join us for an all-church potluck discussion re: how we can become stronger allies.  It is one more small step towards living into our Open and Affirming commitment.

Come Monday, I have a few pastoral visits - and administrative duties - to deal with before stopping in to hear some friends play funk at the Mission Bar and Tapas.  I get to go deeper in our premarital conversation with a young couple on Tuesday and do a few more pastoral visits.  Then on Wednesday, I'll celebrate Eucharist at midday and probably hang with another church family that evening to make sure our fall programming is ready to go.

Then it is on to Brooklyn, Ipswich and vacation time...

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...