Friday, March 4, 2016

something bad's about to happen...

Truth be told, I've always loved me some twangy rock'n'roll - and there are parts of "today's country music" that knock me out! It started (again) back in 2003 when Montgomery Gentry released "Hell Yeah." Not only did I LOVE that groove, but the lyrics and video spoke to me of what the church I wanted to serve should be all about. Back in Tucson, we started to call it living like a "Johnny Cash" Christian. 

There were a couple of other killer songs by country artists that blew me away at that time, too. But remember, my daddy turned me on to rock'a'billy at an early age and I was an early Eagles fan back when they were doing Linda Ronstadt back-up work.  And I still revel in the sound of that whole LA/Country/Hippie thing that Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, The Byrds, CCR and Poco honed to a thing of beauty. 

And let's not forget the incredible work Garth Brooks did for the genre: not only was he a show man beyond compare - and an insightful song writer - but this dude had gravitas alongside a wicked sense of humor.  Ad to all of this a big heart and a killer band and there was no stopping him.

There's Willie Nelson - a total genius - my man Kris Kristofferson who makes me laugh and cry, Jason Aldean who kicks country ass like nobody's business and a whole gaggle of great women country artists like Carrie Underwood, Trisha Yearwood, Taylor Swift, Faith Hill, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Allison Krauss, the Judds, Rosanne Cash, Kathy Mattea and Maybelle Carter. These women rocked my world.

So today after a bit of sabbath rest and exploration, what should come pounding out of the car radio up in the hills of Western Massachusetts but this freakin' crazy ass country song that sounds like the boys of Def Leppard  got hitched to some babes in Nashville and decided to stay for a season. Two of the current country rockers, Trisha Yearwood and Miranda Lambert, just smoke it on,"Something Bad's Gonna Happen" and damn if they aren't telling the truth!

And then, after we rocked out in the Subaru, the DJ just couldn't help himself because his "twofer" was from another rascal: Trace Adkins. They played "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" which is drop dead funny, sexy, sexist and rockin' with all of its badass double entendres. But my favorite is still his ode to lovin' his wife who may no longer look like she did at 17 but she's still his one hot momma...

I have to say: these guys are too much fun and I give thanks to God for them all!

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...