Tuesday, November 14, 2017

this is soul food for me...

It has been waaaay too long since I have been able to be with a beloved and gifted musician, take the time to dig into the soul of a song in collaboration, and take the time to discover what the spirit might be saying to us through playing these songs in different way. There is a certain rush in sitting-in and improvising on the spot. But truth be told, my soul is fed by hunkering down with some music and practicing it every which way to Sunday. I want to feel the music from the inside out and know what doors it might open - and this takes time. So it has been pure heaven on earth for me over the past six weeks to sit down with one of my all time favorite friends - also a consummate musician who is a great performer and composer, too - and burrow deep into a few songs for two plus hours. Like I said at the close of today's practice: THIS is truly soul food me, brother. Thank you.

Here's a tune we're working on and will not only share it in worship on Sunday, January 14, 2018 but later at a salon at our home.  There is MUCH more to say about the groove, the joy and the importance of getting this music out there. But like playing this tune taught me today: there are times when the silence and the space communicates more than I could ever articulate. So, thanks, brother man, onwards!

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...