The new U2 album is out and I hope to listen to it before Christmas. That hasn't happened yet, but life is full when a loved one injures her back, a saint of the the church suddenly dies and you're planning the closing liturgies of a long ministry. There are some older, really potent U2 songs that cry out for posting as the Advent season ripens for believers.
One is the reworking of Greg Lake's "I Believe in Father Christmas." Check it out
and try to convince me that it doesn't evoke some of the tender hope the Christ child brings into the world...
The other is more somber, "Peace on Earth" from their comeback album, All That You Can't Leave Behind." It hurts to hear this song - and it should - given the avarice, cruelty and blind disregard for the least of Christ's sisters and brothers. Every time I hear it I am taken deeper in confession and renewal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
let's be still for a spell...
Someone's going to slam me as some kind of neo-con for this, but here goes. A few days back there was a reel posted on FB with a message...
-
Some 35 years ago I started tinkering with a garden. I didn't know what I was doing, of course, I simply found solace and a measure of ...
-
These past three months have taken their toll. Grief and anxiety will do that even if you don't fully recognize the signs. I certainly d...
No comments:
Post a Comment