Tuesday, August 18, 2020

loving last night's democratic national convention...

Some people hated it, others (like us) loved it while many were indifferent. (Can't help but think of Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane" where the master states: "Some like to go out dancing, others like us we gotta work. And there's even some evil mothers who'll tell you life is full of dirt..") I am talking about the opening of last night's Democratic Presidential Convention. The jaded politicos and adrenaline junkies, of course, missed the drama and roaring crowds. They even had the cynical audacity to say that the sane remnant of the Republican Party - including John Kasich et al - fell flat, missing entirely the historicity of openly defying the Emperor with no clothes. Oh well, those from the heartland couldn't help but notice that the sands really are shifting. Four moments stood out for me...

The opening montage of America's diverse youth singing the National Anthem

The use of Springsteen's "The Rising" to evoke this moment in history...

Bernie Sanders' endorsement of Joe Biden in the context of challenging the current resident at the White House's authoritarianism, white supremacy and narcissistic incompetence. And, in a league all her own, Michelle Obama, who not only laid it all on the line, but made it clear that unless people of good will come together: life in the USA and all over the world will get a whole lot worse. She was passionate, honest, down to earth and very persuasive. Like Cory Booker tweeted last night: "I've missed Obama - I've missed her husband, too!" 

If you haven't watched this yet, please take the time. And if you have, perhaps you could watch it again as she articulates what's at stake.
My experience watching political conventions started with John Chancellor being carried out of the Republic National Convention before Barry Goldwater secured the nomination in 1964. I, too, love the drama, the crowds and the pageantry. I am a total sucker for the best of the American promise just as I grieve mightily our onerous failings. I openly weep while singing the National Anthem at baseball games and gladly put my hand over my heart to pledge allegiance. I am not afraid or ashamed to love my country even as I despise our bigotry, sexism, racism and war against Mother Nature. We are a wildass mixed bag and much as I would rather be living in Canada, like Little Steven sings, "I am a patriot..."

So count me IN for tonight - and the rest of the week, too - as this new/old story unfolds in a wonderfully diverse way.

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...