When we have learned how to listen to trees, then the brevity and the quickness and the childlike hastiness of our thoughts achieve an incomparable joy… for trees stand lonesome-looking in a forest, yet not like hermits who have stolen away out of some weakness, but like great, solitary men, like Beethoven and Nietzsche. These trees are the most penetrating preachers, their silent fortitude struggles with all the force of their lives for one thing only: to fulfill themselves according to their own laws, to build up their own form, and to represent themselves with beauty and integrity.
Friday, September 4, 2020
listening to the trees...
This Sunday's live stream considers the wisdom of trees. It is the start of the new liturgical Season of Creation (September to the Feast of St. Francis) and asks us to listen for the truths of creation starting with Forest Sunday. We'll look at the oldest creation story in the Hebrew Bible, share some poems and rethink what it means for God to love the whole cosmos (John 3: 16). Maybe even a bit of Joni's "Woodstock" and Eucharist, too. I love this quote from Herman Hesse:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
let's be still for a spell...
Someone's going to slam me as some kind of neo-con for this, but here goes. A few days back there was a reel posted on FB with a message...
-
Some 35 years ago I started tinkering with a garden. I didn't know what I was doing, of course, I simply found solace and a measure of ...
-
These past three months have taken their toll. Grief and anxiety will do that even if you don't fully recognize the signs. I certainly d...


No comments:
Post a Comment