Tuesday, September 21, 2021

following the tiny threads of synchronicity...

After an all too short trip to be with friends in the L'Arche Ottawa community on Sunday and Monday, we returned to home base in Montréal. It was a joy to party and sing with these dear friends and then spend a good chunk of Monday in various meetings to continue building tender community in the L'Arche charism. Beyond the uncertainties of COVID we face some rigorous challenges entering the community's 50th year. But that is what Jubilee is all about: reconciliation with authenticity and justice, compassionate accountability for past wounds, and a desire to walk humbly in God's spirit of trust. We have our work cut out for us. I closed our planning meeting noting that the words of Jesus from the finale of St. John's gospel are among my favorites:

Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.

After a pregnant pause, one wise soul said, "That's not your favorite scripture because you LIKE it, right?" We laughed and I replied, "No, but it is true - and it is where we are right now!" As the Psalmist used to sing: "It is so good and healing to be together with sisters and brothers in unity." Leaving was sweet sorrow and I am already anticipating my return in October.

Today we had an extensive lesson in Québécois French: it will take more time than the sacred has allotted to me to grasp the intricate and wonderful distinctions of this branch of the language - but it was a total blast giving it a shot. I am going to keep working on whatever French I can muster over the next year so that at the very least I can sing more songs a français in community. Already I'm working on a simple round to the prayer the 
Québécois shared during the pandemic: ça va bien aller - all shall be well - from St. Julian of Norwich. Our instructor, Alissa Bonneville, was sharp, insightful, a ton of fun, and wildly creative. Afterwards, as we looked for small souvenirs for the grandchildren I came upon a graphic novel telling the story of Leonard Cohen's life. Serendipitously, I later received a note from a friend in L'Arche that today is St. Leonard's feast day (born this day in 1934.)

While in community, another friend and community member shared with me a hand crafter ceramic crucifix that has been in her family for a few generations. It is poignant and holy - and I love it. I was told that it used to be the costume to give a crucifix like this to young Québécois families upon the purchase of their first home. I am honored in ways beyond words to receive this sacred treasure. My friend, who regularly translates my little Zoom homilies into beautifully poetic French said, "Looking upon the crosses on the wall of your study gave me the idea and I didn't want this to leave our family. You are family." Thanks be to God. I am so blessed. 

We have been so graciously welcomed by our Québécois and L'Arche friends both francophone and anglophone. It is a humbling responsibility to live into this love and it came at just the right time in my life. Those who read my words often know that I pay attention to the "little threads of synchronicity" that show up along our journey and gently whisper: follow me. As if by confirmation, when I walked up St. Laurent tonight to buy some groceries after the normal pleasantries of greeting, the young check out clerk said to me: j'adore votre sac (I love your bag.) It's a recycled grocery bag with the Virgin of Guadalupe on it. I smiled, touched my heart and replied, "Merci beaucoup. Moi aussi." There are connections of love and tenderness to be made everyday if we're not too tired, afraid, or busy to notice. Tomorrow we're off to the wetlands north of the city and then into the Côte-des-Neiges neighborhood.

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...