Monday, May 22, 2023

an experiment in music as love...

Last night we played a "barn gig" - both a fundraiser for Kids 4 Harmony and a spring music party - that was a gas. Over the course of two hours about 40+ people not counting the 8 person band and sound engineer took in some of the groove. As the pandemic ebbed and flowed, I found myself aching for ways to bring people together in a chill environment: I wanted it to be built on music, driven by a band's love for one another, set in easy-going locales, and angst-free. That is to say FREE for all intents and purposes. The more I talked about this with loved ones, the more it felt like a pre-figurative act of solidarity. A bit idealistic given my predisposition to the aesthetics of the 60's, to be sure, but as another once told us: "you can say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."  I also wanted to bring together musicians I'd worked with over the years who knew how to check their egos at the door, leave most of their personal drama at home, open their hearts in a spiritual but not religious style, knew how to play a wide range of songs, and loved to laugh.

At first, it felt like house church, but I'm pretty averse these days to institutional religion of all types. How did St. Lou Reed put it? "Stick a fork in them, their done!" (NOTE: there are clearly exceptions, to be sure, and the community I am participating in right now is one. But broadly speaking: I want to stay as far away from formal religion as I can!) In fact, I believe there are better and more satisfying ways to incarnate and strengthen the spirituality of Jesus. Hell, playing good music in a dive bar is often more satisfying to me - and certainly more life-giving - than what happens on many Sunday mornings. So, after opening this door with a host of former colleagues, we began to craft a music making party on our back porch - and it worked. At first about 20 people came. Then 35. And while we took a break from playing in puble when the weather grew cold, we kept practicing. And listening. And laughing and even praying. Yesterday we harvested some of the fruit of our labors and it was all so very sweet. In a note to my music mates I put it like this: 

What we're doing is a counter-cultural act that is ALL about being together: call it solidarity, culture change, or even resistance to the status quo but it is an embodied act of sharing love and beauty in real time. We're not the only ones doing it, of course; but what we offer is unique. I can't tell you how many folk thanked me/us for creating the safe space to simply celebrate that "life can be ecstasy, you and me endlessly... groovin!" Our eclectic choice of songs, our willingness to hang our egos at the door, our commitment to bringing out the best in one another for the common good - or even healing our souls - was pure holy ground. Further the way we're putting these events together is also counter-cultural. Sure, I do a LOT of organizing (really a LOT - and make some on the spot changes) but we all weigh-in on ways to do a tune, we each bring our own gifts both to the songs and to the song selection. And, we laugh and care for one another while doing all of this. I can't tell you how prayerful that feels to me: more sacred than a LOT of church, for sure.

I am curious to see how this commitment will ripen as spring become summer in these gentle hills. We're just now starting to build a music party calendar to be augmented by other music gatherings, too - and perhaps even a few paid gigs. One participant said to me as we were packing up last night: "Our world needs more of this love. How can we bring more people into the groove?" A young, married couple heard the music while working in their garden next door and wandered into the groove. Sharing personal invites matters. Word of mouth certainly spreads some the fun, too. And making it clear that we're doing it to support the wider community is critical: we were able to raise $600 for young musicians in the making. Each of those ingredients - trust, commitment, beauty, laughter, prayer, solidarity, and spreading the word - will keep this experiment small. And grounded - and that's as it should be. Bigger clearly is NOT better. Staying connected is vital. Radical hospitality essential. I think we'll find a few other musical guests to bring into the fold; not the core band, but allies in pursuit of joy. 

As we approach the celebration of Pentecost, it's time to see what else the Spirit has in store for us. I'll keep you posted trusting as the late David Crosby put it: "music is love."

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...