Thursday, February 29, 2024

the blessings of paradox...

One of the multiple paradoxes I experience working with a few trusted and
beloved musical colleagues has to do with the marvelous realization that the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts." I understand it comes from the genius of Aristotle (Aristotle, Metaphysics, translated by W. D. Ross, Book VIII, 1045a.8–10.)

In the case of all things which have several parts and in which the totality is not, as it were, a mere heap, but the whole is something besides the parts, there is a cause; for even in bodies contact is the cause of unity in some cases, and in others viscosity or some other such quality.

Last night, for example, individually we were all weary: life has been challenging for each band member in a variety of ways and as we gathered to work through the first set of an upcoming performance, it showed. I know that I was fatigued physically from a few demanding days of ministry and music-making as well as emotionally exhausted from carrying around in confidence both the pain and love I share with my mates. Interestingly, despite a collective flagging mojo, everyone was on time for rehearsal. When I started acting a bit cranky, someone else cracked a joke about me that reclaimed a measure of humor and humility. This happened a few times for other members of the band. What also caught my attention was how each song was filled with rich harmonies, subtle musical nuances, and emotional commitment. No one was dialing-it-in despite being bushed. Their laughter and loving presence helped me get over my self (mostly) and I sensed the presence of the sacred within and among us.

This band, in one form or another, has been playing together for over 15 years. As the new/old hymn puts it: "I will weep when you are weeping; when you laugh, I'll laugh with you; I will hold your joys and sorrows till we've seen this journey through."  Like I replied to a local church search committee when asked how I practice self care: I play music with a small collective of trusted and talented friends. Rehearsing, arranging, refining, critiquing, and performing our music is soul food for me and spiritual succor, too. This ensemble is my faith community. And I wasn't kidding. Each of us, of course, have our own discrete formal spiritual practices. But I find myself more often than not on holy ground with these women and men - and I rejoice in it!

Something similar takes place with my partner in the duo: Two of Us. We work hard at making joyful and satisfying music. And even though we've been playing out with a few other friends who bring percussion and bass into the mix, what we do each Tuesday night establishes the foundation. And when we get to share that sweet soul music... well, it is a little bit of heaven right here on earth for me. It calls to mind what Kris Kristofferson once wrote about Dennis Hopper in "The Pilgrim."
He's a poet, he's a picker
He's a prophet, he's a pusher
He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction,
Takin' ev'ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home.
He has tasted good and evil in your bedrooms and your bars,
And he's traded in tomorrow for today
Runnin' from his devils, lord, and reachin' for the stars,
And losin' all he's loved along the way
But if this world keeps right on turnin' for the better or the worse,
And all he ever gets is older and around
from the rockin' of the cradle to the rollin' of the hearse,
The goin' up was worth the comin' down

Add into this mix my new gig as an interim pastor to a lively congregation open to the playfulness of a ragamuffin gospel and I am one happy camper whose so very, very grateful. As this springs ripens - and our respective challenges are dealt with - I give thanks to God that I am a part of such a blessing.




No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...