Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Let's take it deeper: lovin' Danny Thompson...

Ok, I LOVE the bass playing of Danny Thompson: this guy is a monster and my favorite bass player ever (and I adore McCartney, Bruce, Pastorius, Carter, Jamerson, Lesh and Weymouth.) I just can't get enough of this guy.  And he's played with everyone, yes? Think Donovan and Kate Bush, Pentangle and Loreena McKennit, Nick Drake and Tim Buckley as well as Zoe Rahman, Richard Thompson and John Martyn.


Truth be told, I probably first heard him playing on Donovan's "First There Is a Mountain" single back in 1967 - and the follow-up live album has Thompson holding down the bass on that, too.  From there it was a quick hop, skip and a jump to Pentangle - my all-time favorite Celtic-Jazz-Psychedelic band - and 40 years later he is still just as incredible, nuanced and powerful to my heart and soul.

My man has had his ups and downs - who hasn't in this realm, yes? - and converted to Islam in 1990.  He is still playing rockin' music and keeping the foundation solid and moving - and I can't wait to find out what he's up to next.  Check him out!  Here's one of my all time favorites from the good old days:  "I've Got a Feeling."  Hmmm... this sounds like it might work a way into the repertoire...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danny Thompson is an absolute legend. I first came across him through John Martyn, but then steadily found that he was in the background of many, many tracks in my collection. I'm not sure, but I think this is him playing with the Blind Boys of Alabama. And this Martyn/Thompson performance is, in my opinion, flawless.

RJ said...

Oh Simon, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for this tune... I used it for my sermon posting. Incredible.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...