Saturday, July 14, 2018

can't stand the hipster banter on what passes for news...

I am gratefully and intentionally old school: this may strike some as a glorified geezer rant, but I'm willing to take the risk. It hit me driving to the grocery store tonight when the so-called replacement to Garrison Keillor's "Prairie Home Companion" came on the radio. (Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa - and some very old vehicles, like my 2002 Subaru Forester with 120K miles, has neither a satellite radio or CD player.) I've tried to like the new show - and it is not nostalgia that's rendered a verdict of thumbs down. No, the humor is flat, the music anemic, the attempts at social relevance forced, and the ambiance uninspired. Whatever Keillor's sins - and unlike others they are open for debate - many of his Lake Woebegone tales were poignant. Much of his humor was forced at times, too. But there was an old school commodity called soul that he brought to the air waves that is woefully missing from the new incarnation.

I have much the same reaction when I try to listen to NPR these days, too. Hipster banter and hyper-casual greetings (Hey Audie - What's up, Melissa?) have replaced serious news. Maybe I've become infatuated with Radio 1 CBC. They have their share of hipster hosts as well. But they do such solid, in-depth reporting with extensive behind the scenes interviews that they leave National Public Radio in the dust. Infomercials and news-lite is a boring and frustrating waste of time. Thankfully there is a measure of depth on the PBS News Hour (although Judy Woodruff flirts too often with frivolity for my tastes.) It beats the hell out of MSNBC, CNN. NPR, and Fox combined. Same goes for the renewal of hard news at both the NY Times and Washington Post as the Trump regime drones on. The Guardian from the UK has become my go to source for news and commentary each morning since the election.

When it comes news, facts matter. When it comes to politics, compassion and possibility matters. When it comes to exploring the significance of our common lot, integrity and perspective greater than self-serving spin matters. This is old school. It cuts deep. It listens carefully. It neither patronizes the elderly nor minimizes the young. Old school invites conversation - and conversations not only take time, but need to take place in real time about real things. Earlier today, Carrie Newcomer posted this quote from Parker Palmer about the meaning of hope. It is SOOO old school and speaks to my heart: "Hope is holding in creative tension all that is, with all that could and should be, and everyday taking some action to narrow the distance between the two." Sounds like this John Hiatt song to me.

One of the most fascinating, chilling and conversation evoking programs on Netflixs is "Black Mirror." It is a 21st century "Twilight Zone" with state of the art production values. At the core of this program is contemporary technology. Each show takes a current techno trend and teases out a few logical consequences. It is not anti-technology nor is it an exercise in nostalgia. It is sci-fi that invites ethical debates in the best of that tradition. Many of the programs will leave you unsettled and troubled. Good. "Black Mirror" asks you to go deeper than hipster banter and news-lite. 

I can only take it in small doses - and I need to talk about each episode afterwards - because each episode brings a challenging word to this moment in time. Take it from this geezer: its the real, old school deal about our brave new world. In addition to being entertaining, it is thought provoking. 

2 comments:

James D Findlay said...

Thanks for this timely and probing post. I haven't listened to NPR for a long time; we have Pacifica here in LA. Whenever I do stumble onto NPR on my radio by accident, and allow myself to listen, I, too, am quickly bored, and find my way back to music, Pacifica news, or just the sound of driving on the highway. It doesn't surprise me that the replacement for Garrison K is flat and pointless. He couldn't be equalled. Conversation, and hope. I savor these, too, in these days. Being "Old Heads" is something to be proud of -- and we can offer something the world needs -- our experiences and insights. Keep on with being YOU, Dear Brother!

RJ said...

Sweet to hear from you, dear brother. I love Pacifica. Grew up with WBAI in my formative years and savored KXCI, community radio, in Tucson. I like being old heads as long as I don't become like those dudes on the Muppetts always carping, right? Right back at you, man, keep sharing the light and wisdom. Love you.

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...