Friday, July 18, 2008

What would you include...?

APOLOGIES: Dear friends - I had a picture posted here earlier that suggested shadow and truth to me (at first) but upon closer examination turned out to be totally unacceptable for this blog. I ask your forgiveness. RJ

I am beginning work on a special project re: worship, our encounter with beauty and contemporary music (especially U2) and would like your wisdom/help. As I collaborate with a local jazz/classical pianist - as well as my own trio - it would help me greatly to hear your thoughts about:

1) What U2 songs (and others) speak to you about how beauty touches/heals our wounds?

2) What songs do you relate to the following text from scripture: the final chapter of Job 42 -I am particularly fond of poet Stephen Mitchell's rendering of 42: 1-6.

3) Visual images - paintings, films, etc - that express the power of beauty to bringing healing.

As those of you who read this blog know, I am committed to going deeper into uncharted territory so don't be afraid to be edgy or subversive: Walter Breuggemann is clear that in times of chaos and oppression, God calls us to go to the periphery - in scripture, sociology and art - in order to hear a word of challenge, healing, hope and liberation. To date, the U2 songs that speak to me on this theme include: Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car, Mofo, Beautiful Day, Grace and Pride.




I look forward to hearing from you as this project matures. Many thanks.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Baba O'Riley, by The Who--reassuring and powerful at the same time.

Why Do We Hunger for Beauty--Jim Croegaert (recorded by Steve Bell); very meditative

Fix You--Coldplay; not sure

I Can See Clearly Now--Johnny Nash, or the Jimmy Cliff version

Dark night of the Soul--Steve Bell, on his Solace album

Hurdy Gurdy Man --Donovan (?)

Rise Above--Oysterband, from Rise Above

Bright Morning Star--Oysterband, same album

NB: these aren't all "on topic", so to speak; they just speak to me

RJ said...

OMG Pete... I love these suggestions and really appreciate your words. I know most but not all and will do some checking. Many, many thanks.

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...