Sunday, November 9, 2008

Because the night...

This may be one of the most sensual laments I have ever heard. I know some folks think Bruce is waaay over rated but man can this guy cook when he's in a groove! When I was in the midst of a totally broken relationship - and everything felt like it was turning to shit all around me - I stole away to Detroit one night and heard the Boss and his band play this song back in the 1980s and it saved my soul. Sure, there were lots of other ass-kicking songs, too like "Because the Night" and "Darkness at the Edge of Town" but his cover of "Trapped" changed everything for me.
.
They say in AA that religion is for people who believe in hell, but spirituality is for those who have been there - and this song gets it right. It shares what hell feels like and helped me name it, too. Some of my old addict friends in Cleveland - guys from Vietnam who are still fighting their inner terrors - tell me that this song gets it right and they wouldn't bullshit you if their lives depended on it.

So I simply share it with you tonight knowing that somebody out there is feeling trapped -maybe you are thinking there is nobody out there who feels what you do - and that everything is turning to shit. Sometimes music can can help us name what's going on inside - in that way it is like a prayer - and when that happens - be it joy or sorrow - it reminds us that we're not in this all by ourselves... and that is part of the way into hope and healing. So, listen to this and let me know what you think, ok?

2 comments:

Luke said...

dude! i gotta say that i am going out and picking up springsteen's stuff because of you! we're even planning a worship service here based on "My Hometown" for the seminary worship service next tuesday and wednesday.

great stuff!

Anonymous said...

I know some folks think Bruce is waaay over rated

LOL! Guilty as charged!

I listened...all the way through....and it was good :)

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...