Tuesday, January 6, 2009

All together now for a new year...

Our little band got back together tonight for the first time since Thanksgiving. That was a LONG break but necessary given life, death, Advent and Christmas - and it was a blast to be back together. I love these guys and really enjoy making music with them. I give thanks to God for Dianne and Jenna, Brian and Norm, Liz and Paul - you guys are the BEST!

The first gig that's upcoming for us is on Martin Luther King Day. A group of artists and activists in South County of the Berkshires is pulling together a new way of honoring this holy day: music, arts, dialogue and raising money for the area hunger centers. Part of the juice comes out of the blessings of the Obama campaign. Part of it comes in trying to reclaim MLK day for a new generation.

And part of it is just the mix of artists and activists coming together in this neck of the woods at this wild ass moment in time. Lots of fun. There will be classical pianists, a children's dance ensemble, our folk/rock band and some jazz friends plus a silent auction of art done by prisoners in this area. Too kewel for school! AND... we get to host the whole gig at our church. All I can say is: Hallelujah and Amen!

We worked on three new songs tonight: "Pride (In the Name of Love) by U2, "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen but DEFINED by Jeff Buckley and "All Together Now" by the English dance band The Farm. Lots of fun... lots of depth... and LOTS of groove.


Made me think of the line, "shake your groove thing, shake your groove thing" from back in the days of KC and the Sunshine Band. Music is a blessing in my life - especially making music with dedicated and loving people. This band, "Between the Banks," is a parable of the Jesus life for me: hard working, talented souls sharing the gifts they have in a way that when combined with other gifts makes beautiful and joyful sounds that can inspire and encourage others.

This is so beautiful... John Legend's version of U2's magnum opus...

2 comments:

Dianne said...

As you know, I LOVE quiet acoustic versions of rock&roll songs, and this one by John Legend is primo! I like our rockin' version, too, but this one makes my heart weep. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

RJ said...

Isn't it incredible? I think we should experiment with both/and...

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...